Topic: SW vs LotR

What series do you think is better? Star Wars or Lord of the Rings?

No disintegrations, No fun

Re: SW vs LotR

As a big fan of both I am cut right down the middle.  I would have to say Star Wars purely because of all the Expanded Universe stuff.  Yes I know you have Sillmarillion and Lost Tales and more recently Children of Hurin (which I have yet to read).  But me I like stuff after the main events, which is why I enjoy The New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force series.  The appendixes in Return of the King aren't enough to satisfy my craving.

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

you really can't compare these two. As a critic, yea. But these are two completely different fantasies. It's easier to compare SW to Star Trek or anything else taking in space. But LotR is completely different.

I can't even decide because they are both unique and great in their own ways. I love em both, but I only have Star Wars tattoos so I guess SW gets an extra point in my book. wink

"Maybe I'd have grown up a nice guy if a Jedi hadn't cut my dad's head off in front of me."

i like em both, but when i read the topic i thought you ment like a battle, but that wouldnt be much of a discussion would it?
for now, im gona say Star Wars,

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Even though I like Star wars more, I think Lord of the Rings has a better meaning to it then Star Wars.

[i]"Sir, Finishing this Cake."[/i]

and music, like "requiem for a dream" (spelling?)

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

I dont know, star wars gots good music too.

(but i like requiem for a dream too)

[i]"Sir, Finishing this Cake."[/i]

9 (edited by peter Saturday, August 4, 2007 6:48 am)

I think that there is major differences in both but there has been alot of discussion about the hero's of each and the way that they differ. Luke goes head first and recklessly into his destiny as a way to escape the life he would lead on tattoine yet Frodo is reluctant and only accepts his destiny because he is the ring barer. he did not go out of his way to find adventure, he would of rather be at home in Bagend smoking some longbottom pipe weed!
    In saying that, I love starwars and the l.o.t.r is the only movies that have come close to the holy trilogy! But the books are another matter all together!!!

" Hi!"

star wars....

You've been holding out on us again haven't you? Since you haven't given us enough money, I'll guess I'll have to take it out of you piece by piece! - Unknown Mandalorian.

Ouch! What a choice. I love them both, but my heart first belonged to Star Wars so I'll  vote Star Wars ( With a close second.)

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

I believe Clerks II said it best... But since this is a family site I cannot quote or give a link to show what I mean... but they have a great scene where the one guy just lays waste to the LOTR movies.

Truthfully though, I liked LOTR, but they were a little too drawn out for my tastes.

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.
Hail to the King Baby!!

Fetterthanyou wrote:

I believe Clerks II said it best... But since this is a family site I cannot quote or give a link to show what I mean... but they have a great scene where the one guy just lays waste to the LOTR movies.

Truthfully though, I liked LOTR, but they were a little too drawn out for my tastes.

Is there a site where I can see that scene? I also like the line "theres only one return, and its of the Jedi."....i saw that in the commercials

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

Valthonin wrote:

Is there a site where I can see that scene? I also like the line "theres only one return, and its of the Jedi."....i saw that in the commercials

Try youtube, clerks 2 lotr... but fair warning, there is a lot of cursing and such.

Hail to the King Baby!!

15 (edited by Valthonin Saturday, August 4, 2007 5:13 pm)

Fetterthanyou wrote:
Valthonin wrote:

Try youtube, clerks 2 lotr... but fair warning, there is a lot of cursing and such.

Its ok im a big boy smile, thanks

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

16 (edited by Jodo Kast Saturday, August 18, 2007 11:26 am)

each one counts as the # of movies
and each "awesome" character counts as 2.

LoTR:
-awesome special effects
-brilliant characters
-excellent writing
-want to watch it overandoveragain!
-Aragorn and Legolas rule!

Star Wars:
-decent special effects
-okay characters (exception: 4)
-not that good writing (sorry, George...) (exception: 4)
-seen it. (exception: 4)
-Boba Fett rules!

LoTR: 16
Star Wars: 5

Lord of the Rings wins!
yay!

Star Wars Episode VII: Boba Fett's Revenge
Coming to theaters whenever George Lucas dies.

HA! Clerks, I have a friend who did that whole LOTR Walking thing as a joke to my sister (he was trying to impress her) and a few of my other friends and they were laughing so hard. I was laughing because they had no clue that he was ripping it word for word.

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

Jodo Kast wrote:

LoTR:
-awesome special effects
-brilliant characters
-excellent writing

Star Wars:
-decent special effects
-okay characters
-not that good writing (sorry, George...)
-seen it.
-Boba Fett rules!

Star Wars: 2

Lord of the Rings wins!
yay!

What...?  i do not understand your score system (which is completely illegible)

Since LOTR is a trilogy (not counting the hobbit) I'll just use the original trilogy of SW.

Special Effects = If you are talking about the original trilogy, it had the most groundbreaking special effects of any movie ever. While Jackson had some fine effects, nothing awe-inspiring.

Characters= Han Solo, Boba Fett, Darth Vader... vs. Frodo (an irritating midget), Gimli (see last comment), and Legolas (Actually he was cool)

Writing= Star Wars had one of the most epic turning points in movie history (I am you're father). Gotta admit LOTR has great writing... but Jackson didn't write it, J.R.R. Tolkien did. So theres the advantage.

???...??? = "-want to watch it overandoveragain!" "-Seen it" (????)

Didn't you already do characters?

Hail to the King Baby!!

Rofl, i love them both but i have to go with SW too.

I'm smiling because they havn't found the bodies yet. :)
I think, therfore i am I destroy, therfore i endure - IG-88 tales of the bounty hunters

Fetterthanyou wrote:
Jodo Kast wrote:

LoTR:
-awesome special effects
-brilliant characters
-excellent writing

Star Wars:
-decent special effects
-okay characters
-not that good writing (sorry, George...)
-seen it.
-Boba Fett rules!

Star Wars: 2

Lord of the Rings wins!
yay!

What...?  i do not understand your score system (which is completely illegible)

Since LOTR is a trilogy (not counting the hobbit) I'll just use the original trilogy of SW.

Special Effects = If you are talking about the original trilogy, it had the most groundbreaking special effects of any movie ever. While Jackson had some fine effects, nothing awe-inspiring.

Characters= Han Solo, Boba Fett, Darth Vader... vs. Frodo (an irritating midget), Gimli (see last comment), and Legolas (Actually he was cool)

Writing= Star Wars had one of the most epic turning points in movie history (I am you're father). Gotta admit LOTR has great writing... but Jackson didn't write it, J.R.R. Tolkien did. So theres the advantage.

???...??? = "-want to watch it overandoveragain!" "-Seen it" (????)

Didn't you already do characters?

it's just my way of saying Star Wars doesn't even begin to compare to Lord of the Rings in my book!

don't take it so seriously!

Jodo Kast wrote:

it's just my way of saying Star Wars doesn't even begin to compare to Lord of the Rings in my book!

don't take it so seriously!

I don't take too many things seriously, especially topics like this. I was just showing why I think SW is much better.

And I still don't understand your scoring system...

Hail to the King Baby!!

okay, i came up with 4 main topics and a bonus fifth topic.

each of the 4 were worth the number of movies that series had.

the fifth, for each one i added, was worth 2 each.

actually, i need to rescore it.

Book: Lotr
Movie: both
Everything Else: Star Wars

And, to point out a very certain fact, Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy. It is one story, separated into three books. i.e.: the second book is called The Two Towers, not LotR 2: The Two Towers. The latter would make it a sequel.

Fett_II wrote:

Book: Lotr
Movie: both
Everything Else: Star Wars

And, to point out a very certain fact, Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy. It is one story, separated into three books. i.e.: the second book is called The Two Towers, not LotR 2: The Two Towers. The latter would make it a sequel.

Book wise that is true, but the movies are a trilogy.

Hail to the King Baby!!

that's because Peter Jackson wanted to not go by how the books were written. And if J.R.R. Tolkien said it's not a Trilogy (even his son, Christopher re-prints it in newer editions), then their words are above all others. Like, in example, if George Lucas were to pronounce that all six Star Wars movies are in fact gothic, then we'd have no choice but to accept it.