76 (edited by regimas Monday, October 20, 2008 6:54 pm)

Re: my custom mandalorian costume

here you guys go, unpainted gauntlets and no cod piece or jetpack in the pic...but other than that...pretty much done

one with a helmet and the other showin my mandalorian mug tongue

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/sameryoder/sam016.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/sameryoder/sam011.jpg

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

excellent gauntlets big_smile

Cool, man smile

Carry on my wayward son!

whoa...i posted this like 5 minutes ago....you guys are quick big_smile

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

What's that on the side of your knee? And why no visor?

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/OrtharRrith/OrtharRrith-1.jpg[/img]

81 (edited by regimas Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:52 am)

Orthar wrote:

Its a gun. some mandalorians have them.

and it wont make me buy a visor any faster if you keep telling me too. moneys tight, and im working on it. kinda trying to....you know...get a car ....maybe.....
tongue

Take your time regimas no rush. I really dont think we will be invaded any time soon. big_smile

Church... when I die I want you to have my orange juice!

83 (edited by Orthar Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:07 am)

regimas wrote:
Orthar wrote:

Its a gun. some mandalorians have them.

and it wont make me buy a visor any faster if you keep telling me too. moneys tight, and im working on it. kinda trying to....you know...get a car ....maybe.....
tongue

yikes!!! lol. Car-schmar! Use a jetpack like all respectable Mando's do! lol, Okay, no pestering about the visor!... for now!  tongue

I thought it might be a gun but it seemed a little low down, you'd have to either bend down to reach it or bend your leg up to be able to draw. Either way not exactly a quick draw! That's why I asked.
I like the fingerless gloves, very reminiscent of Montross. I don't know how feasible this would be for you (guess it depends upon how confident you are about sewing), but you may find having the short outer sleeve on your flightsuit will give you some place for the pipe from your gauntlet to go into that doesn't move any piece of armour it shouldn't (it also seems to stop people from trying to see where it is attached! - weird but true)
Excellent progress so far though, I like what I'm seeing. Are you (or have you) fibreglassing the gauntlets? (hard to tell for certain from the colour of them in the picture).
Oh and I'd turn the belt around so that the buckle sits at the back, just my opinion. Keep it up and let us know how your girlfriends armour is getting on.

Edit: Can I just state for the record, that I am not having a dig at anyone's costume, far from it. I delight in seeing what others produce for their costumes and how they adapt to problems they encounter. I also try not to come across as snobbish or with a superior attitude. I realise that not everyone has access the the same materials or funds and so may have to use different items or adapt things. None of that matters to me, I offer my advice and people are free to take it or leave it as they wish, I will not be offended. 
My apologies to Regimas if my comments about the visor on this thread have appeared repetitive and/or annoying. Between here, KOTE Mandos, TDH and the others, I genuinely loose track of who I've said what to and when.
By the way, thanks for the comment on my reputation Regimas, I understand what you mean and hope you can understand my desire to see everyone in the same league - even if I can sometimes come across as a little.. irritating.

wow, okay

thanks for setting the record straight orthar.

the gun is easily drawn, the gauntlets main body is metal and the parts that are orange/brown are hard plastic, they are overall very solid.

the buckle idea i will do from now on (i should have thought of that tongue)

my jetpack i am going to fiberglass i think, its a hard foam, but it feels too flimsy to me.

Orthar, how do you get the paint job look like a dull yet shiny metal. Because mine looks plastic. sad

Jaerog wrote:

Orthar, how do you get the paint job look like a dull yet shiny metal. Because mine looks plastic. sad

yeah, i have the same question

87 (edited by Orthar Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:36 pm)

Assuming that the item being painted is already primed (I use a grey primer on the armour I paint) then first paint the area with a dull silver (I use Games Workshop's Boltgun Metal) then apply a lighter silver over the top (I use Games Workshop's Chainmail) BUT don't paint completely over the top of the original dull silver, leave some of the dull silver visible around the edges, this gives that worn metal with fresh scratches look. Then you can wash with various black and brown inks for that aged/dirty look.
It sounds complicated at first but it's pretty straight forward and with some practice you can achieve a top notch look, I've managed to "fool" a fair few people into believing plastic was metal (until they touch it anyway) using that technique. It's a variation on "highlighting" used for painting miniatures if that helps any.

Another way to achieve similar results but on a larger scale (such as entire armour plates) is to use Rub'n Buff Silver then give it several layers of brown and black ink washes as seen on some armour I painted here:

http://www.kotemandos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=285

Sounds good, but my armor is black with silver marks so do you think i should re-paint?

89 (edited by regimas Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:42 pm)

i wouldn't

90 (edited by Orthar Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:44 pm)

As is mine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/OrtharRrith/ProffesionalOrthar.jpg

The silver markings on my chest plates, the trim around my T-visor and the weathering were all painted with the above techniques, so no I don't think you should repaint. Just take your time and sooner or later you'll look at a piece of plastic or fibreglass and think "Wow! That really does look like it's metal!"

Sorry Regimas, not trying to hijack your thread, just show an example of what I've been trying to describe.

91 (edited by regimas Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:53 pm)

thats fine, by all means

i finally get to see a full picture

very impressive, your avatar doesn't do it justice

(love the diamond on the chest plates, reminds me of the rank insignias in open seasons)

and as you can see, i need better gauntlets, do you know a good way to get some?

...:cool: that looks perfect

93 (edited by regimas Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:17 pm)

looks like my costume on steroids tongue

and what you said about montross...got me thinking...

i may make a montross belt, the big thick one he wears, may look cool