Re: What misconceptions of Star Wars did you have as a kid?

as a kid watching it i always thought Darth Vader was a machine and i watched them at night so i would usually not see the end, so how was i supposed to know Vader demasks at the end lol. i  always called it a Bright Saber, dont know why but thats what my parents say i said.

"I will bet all my Star Wars guys. Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait! Except Boba Fett. No matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fett man."
―Peter Griffin

Like many kids, I thought Darth Vader was a robot (it was actually my mom, who had sat through the movie many, many times with her young son, who surmised that his breathing sound was the result of some type of "iron lung" apparatus). I also thought Darth was in charge of the Empire, even over the Emperor in his appearance in Empire Strikes Back.
I didn't like that Han Solo was trying to steal Princess Leia away from Luke... little did I realize that Luke and Leia would have had some funny lookin' kids.
But the biggest let-down was when I finally admitted to myself the Lightsaber WASN'T real.
Actually, at 4 years old, I had no concept that a movie could be fiction. I thought everything really went down that way in some other galaxy, and I got gypped by being born in the Milky Way.

By the way, I remember the rumour that was spread before Attack of the Clones came out, that Boba Fett was going to be revealed as a woman. And Qui-Gonn Jinn was actually a Sith, because his body didn't dissapear when Darth Maul killed him. Never assume with Lucas.

"Reality is a nice place to visit... but I wouldn't want to live there."

I used to think that the wrappings Sand people wore was their actual faces. I also thought Princess Leia had no ears, and that's why she wore her hair in that "Cinnabon" style.

"Did I ever tell you how much I like ants huh? Especially fried in a subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?"
-Rampage, Beast Wars

I was 100% certain that Jawas were some species of mouse.
In fact, I still do think they might be rodents... eek eek.

I think that I thought that Jawas were Ewoks with hoods.

take it easy baby take it as it comes

81 (edited by Jesse Fett Monday, December 4, 2006 5:15 pm)

I thought Storm Troopers were robots, and i thought the millenium falcon was called the billidien falcon. In a new hope in the tie fighter versus x-wing scenes it shows a tie pilote i thought that it was vader in his pilote suit. I also thought Commander Cody was Boba Fett just working with papltine to control the clone troopers and kill the jedi...i wasnt a big star wars fan back then so i didnt really know much.

Your god won't be there to save you, or maybe I will

When I was a kid I thought that the Imperial troops were the good guys.

In a manner of speaking, they were.

True the troops themselves were probably good but the Empire as a whole was evil and corrupt.

85 (edited by Fetterthanyou Wednesday, January 17, 2007 2:00 pm)

Well as Obi-wan would say
"It was true, from a certain point of view"

If you believed in the empire adn followed it, the Storm troopers are the good guys. like when I played galaxies, I was on the empire and so the storm troopers were my buddies.

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.
Hail to the King Baby!!

I thought that when Obi-Wan was killed, that was what happened when you were hit with lightsabers.  So the next time someone was hit by a lightsaber, I was like hey he didn't disappear!

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

87 (edited by BFFC Manji Monday, January 22, 2007 5:17 pm)

Heheh, these are good. I'm glad that are fresh ones still coming in! wink

Oh! I thought of one. It's not really from when I was a good though.
Like, you know how Han smuggled Spice? Well, I always thought it was just regular old cooking spice, such as nutmeg, until I read Tales of the Bounty Hunters and there was some sort of a Spice deal going on... lol!
But before I found out it was actually a drug, I'd be like: "What's so horrible about spice??"
It still think it's kinda weird that it's a drug... XD

-BFFC Manji aka Jess

dark vader
was what he was callded

Manji_Ninja wrote:

Heheh, these are good. I'm glad that are fresh ones still coming in! wink

Like, you know how Han smuggled Spice? Well, I always thought it was just regular old cooking spice, such as nutmeg, until I read Tales of the Bounty Hunters and there was some sort of a Spice deal going on... lol!
But before I found out it was actually a drug, I'd be like: "What's so horrible about spice??"

LOL! I thought the same thing growing up.  I'd hear Threepio say "We'll be sent to the spice mines of Kessel" and I'd think to myself "Why would they make someone mine for cinammon?  Can't they just pick some up at the store?"

"Stupid, frail, non-compartmentalized meatbags!" -HK-47

Manji_Ninja wrote:

For a while I thought that it was a type of ordinary spice aswell, but was illegal for some reason. It may have been called spice because the term "drug" may have been too raw at the time.

To Arcona's salt is an addictive drug.

When Han Solo was on the skiff and Boba Fett was coming, I thought that Han was saying:
"Boomerang? Where?" and then I saw Boba  I was thinking, that guy isn't a boomerang!

"None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination."

Commander Appo wrote:

When Han Solo was on the skiff and Boba Fett was coming, I thought that Han was saying:
"Boomerang? Where?" and then I saw Boba  I was thinking, that guy isn't a boomerang!

Well he sure flew like one.

"Everyone has the right to be stupid, but you are abusing the privilege."

Lol I used to call Light sabers... Life Savers like the candy lol..

When I was a little girl, my father took me to a mall that had a man in a Vader suit walking around for the kids.  Vader also had a few Jawas tagging along.  My father and I stopped for lunch (pizza I remember) and when we went back to where Vader was, the Jawas were gone.  I remember chewing on my finger and asking sadly, "Where'd the Jawas go?"  And Vader replied:  "I ate them for lunch..."  After that, I was convinced Vader was some kind of cannibal.  ROTFL!!!

"There's only one thing that scares a Mando man......and that's a Mando woman..."  - Karen Traviss, "A Practical Man"

That's a riot, and yet.....hmmmmmmmmm......*wonders what happens to all those dead Imperial officers*

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell

97 (edited by -Fettish- Monday, February 19, 2007 1:04 pm)

I also remember that I started to cry.  My father picked me up, gave Vader a NASTY glare for making his little girl cry, then carried me out to the car. 

I was impressed, my Daddy stood up to Vader.  tongue

"There's only one thing that scares a Mando man......and that's a Mando woman..."  - Karen Traviss, "A Practical Man"

98 (edited by Fett_II Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:58 pm)

Wow, Vader just got pwn't.

Oh boy. I saw ANH when i was 4. Soo many mistakes. I dont even remember back to my first reaction. All i know is, it was good. After seeing ESB and Jedi, i thought i knew all about star wars there was to know. When episode 1 came out, i thought that the trade federation was the empire in the early stages, so this is the way i figured it.

Battle Droids= newb stormtroopers
Those huge-o landing ships that went to naboo, i figured they were star destroyers from the stone age.
And the trade federation ships were early versions of the death star.

that was what was in my book.

And then, attack of the clones came out. So then i figured it out the right way.

clone trooper= stormtrooper
republic star cruiser= stardestroyer
no death star, but its a WIP at that time.

Fettish that has to be the best one so far smile lol.

I'm smiling because they havn't found the bodies yet. :)
I think, therfore i am I destroy, therfore i endure - IG-88 tales of the bounty hunters