Re: Mandalorian language

Hey, I'm going to spend the last weeks of my summer learning Mando'a, now that I've come back from Europe and had to speak Portuguese and Spanish (and Espantoguese, oi ve!) all month.  It's going to be a relief to learn a language without having native speakers listening and giving me stupid looks when I say something wrong (even in Russian class we have a native Russian lady helping us.)  Reasons to learn Mando'a?  1)You can do it in the convenience of your own home.  2)No one knows if you're saying anything wrong.  3)All the information is easily available on the internet.  4)I guarantee you, it's easier than any real language out there.  5)It will increase your capacity for learning languages, making it easier in the future to learn real ones.  6)It will make you better at English by teaching you parts of speech, grammar, etc.

Estuans interius ira vehementi SEPHIROTH!
BFFC Moderator

Reasons not to: It's not practical, geeky, and really stupid (sorry just my opinion.)

Wait just a minute there.  What is the difference between wasting your time being geeky and unpractical by posting on this website, and learning a fake language?  At least the latter boosts your I.Q. and can help you get work as a novelist.  I don't see what the purpose of posting on the BFFC is besides entertainment--the exact same purpose as learning Mando'a.

Sorry if I sounded negative there, everybody.  I really don't think the BFFC is a waste of time.  I was just trying to prove a point.

Estuans interius ira vehementi SEPHIROTH!
BFFC Moderator

What's wrong with being geeky? Isn't it unpractical and geeky that you made a Boba costume? Why waste time making a costume for a fake character? Why not do something more realistic like making medevil armor or something? Like Chrys, just trying to make a point.

I, too, think that learning Mando'a would be a cool idea. If only for practice to help you learn other languages. When I was a kid I tried to learn Spanish and I did very well, and I think that's really helped me be able to pick up bits and peices of other languages, fake or real. And besides, even if you do learn a real language what's the garuntee that it really will help you later in life? The tiny bits of spanish I still remember hasn't helped me one bit, whereas Huttese has helped me better understand many things. (How many people here can honestly say they understand almost everything the security droid on Jabba's door said in the beginning of ROTJ? I can.)

Besides, it's an entertainment thing. Why watch a fake movie? Entertainment. Why learn a fake language? Entertainment. Nothing wrong with that.

Reality doesn't care if you believe in it.
[url]http://www.townparkradio.com[/url] - Video Game Remix Music

Miba,I can't add anything else.You covered all the points so well.Congrats.And as the Mandalorians say,su'varía, scévii la'duthlam.

"Your passions give you strength, and through strength you gain power. You have seen it, you feel it. You must break your chains."

Well, this is the SERIOUS GEEKING section, right?

:-p

--Sadriel Fett (BFFC Moderator)
"I'm just a simple Fan, trying to make my way in the universe."

Serious Geeking???!!  LOL  You bet it is!!   And I know I'm one of the serious geeks! tongue

I actually didn't pick up on languages as easily as I did sciences.  I did well my first year of Spanish, but just about flunked my second year (we started getting picky with grammar--first year was vocab), so I'm surprised I'm finding Mando'a easier to pick up (though it isn't an actual wordly language--it is still fun I agree!!).  I would also like to learn German--my mom knows some German from her time over there, and as we have some German heritage in our family, that makes me want to learn it more.

"Munit ca'nara, ne'haa'tayli"--------- long time, no see (from me anyway... lol)

"Train your sons to be strong, but your daughters to be stronger."--Karen Traviss, Bloodlines

Janos wrote:
Ursula wrote:

The DH cotninually teases me by making up words and telling me he's speaking Mando'a. He likes to do this in public places, like the mall and Chili's. (And he's 42!!!) So I figure I'm at least getting some entertainment value out of the whole experience.

That's awesome, lol. Maybe soon we will see weddings conducted in Mando'a? tongue Whatever the case, this is news to me...

Just to screw with him, I should demand we renew our vows in full Mando. Just for kicks, though, I will invite a few Klingons.

[url]http://museunplugged.blogspot.com/[/url]

Being a Geek rules. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The best part about being a geek?  You learn early to follow your bliss and say 'to hell' with the crowd. Boba Fett fans are particularly excellent geeks, and strong individuals.

[url]http://museunplugged.blogspot.com/[/url]

speak on revren!! tongue Your absolutly right!!! big_smile

TW

{MW} [color=#FF0000]"Death and Destruction to our Enemies!"[/color]
[color=blue]Listen to My Rap Songs!![/color] [url=http://www.myspace.com/dinonkeys]www.myspace.com/dinonkeys[/url]

36 (edited by FettFan79 Saturday, July 8, 2006 8:51 pm)

Oya!!    Nicely put!

lol

Hhmmm...wedding vows in Mando'a---cool idea!  Now I gotta find a guy as big a fan as I am... tongue

"Train your sons to be strong, but your daughters to be stronger."--Karen Traviss, Bloodlines