Re: What Is the Mando Culture?

i think everyone has come to an agreement and everybodys added their 2 cents lol. and sick! *the inbreeding thing*

__[i]VIPER[/i] out.
<my other car is the [i]Slave 1[/i]>

its a cultural thing
but i think it was only the royalty that did it, and a lot of cultures did that...
but with the adoption practices going on in mando culture, you think you might have to worry about that slightly, considering children could divorce parents, but then again you might think people would adopt all the kids in a family if the parents died

[i]Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la.[/i]
Not gone, merely marching far away.-----[i]Mandalorian phrase for the departed[/i]

hmmm. something i noticed, is that Kad means "saber" and Kal means "knife". they have the same first two letters. wonder if KT meant to do that? sorry, a bit off topic

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Ale'ika Skirta wrote:

reading different sources including KT's blog on starwars.com when she had it, she was treating her mando's like the Maori (the people the actor who played Jango is a member of) and the celts since the spartans where elitists and didnt think anyone else was worth the effort of breeding with (Leonidas and his wife where related)

Wow, I didn't know that about the Spartans, though I should have suspected it.  It would fit their profile, and yes, many other ancient *and not so ancient* cultures did the same thing, ESPECIALLY inside the royalty  *COUGHweirdosCOUGH*

I still think the militaristic side of Spartan culture is the one I'd most closely associate with the Mandalorians, though.  It's true what you say about them being dis-similar as far as being open minded with outsiders *IF they fit in* and such, but no other culture that I know of was so militaristically driven.  Of course, that side of Mando culture is up for debate and is just my personal opionion. 

Ale'ika Skirta wrote:

The only major difference between KoToR Mando's and the 'modern' Mando's that i can see is that the KoToR Mando's where activaly conquering sectors and planets where 'mondern' Mando's where more concerned with Mandalore the Mandalore Sector and making money... even though KoToR Mando's also new the value of a credit

Well, that's a big difference.  The Mando's of old activly traveled the galaxy looking to fight other cultures for little other reason then to gain Honor from their victories  *or that's how I interpret there actions.*  Modern Mando's who wish to do anything like that must venture away from their homes and travel alone; it's not a cultural thing any more. 

Add onto that the farming/mining/simple people asspct of the rest of the modern Mando's, and they have changed a lot.

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Ralin Drakus wrote:

I still think the militaristic side of Spartan culture is the one I'd most closely associate with the Mandalorians, though.  It's true what you say about them being dis-similar as far as being open minded with outsiders *IF they fit in* and such, but no other culture that I know of was so militaristically driven.  Of course, that side of Mando culture is up for debate and is just my personal opionion.

Yeah that is understandable but there are many different military cultures in the world that just arent as well known, but the celts where my biggest connection especially after KT connected them,  mainly because they held off the romans, and then married them
and then the dance that KT has the clones doing in Triple 0 is reminiscent of the Maoi Haka

Ralin Drakus wrote:

Well, that's a big difference.  The Mando's of old activly traveled the galaxy looking to fight other cultures for little other reason then to gain Honor from their victories  *or that's how I interpret there actions.*  Modern Mando's who wish to do anything like that must venture away from their homes and travel alone; it's not a cultural thing any more. 
Add onto that the farming/mining/simple people asspct of the rest of the modern Mando's, and they have changed a lot.

The Old Mando's did  fight for honor and glory, the ones that do that now will drop it all if they are told to By mandalore

Not gone, merely marching far away.-----[i]Mandalorian phrase for the departed[/i]

31 (edited by Werda Verd Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:19 pm)

they like fighting--but don't seek it out, not if it doesn't pay. Now, if it pays, and the Mandalore says "go" they go. if they need money, they'll do jobs on the side. But their primary concern, now, as i see it, is to appear strong to the rest of the galaxy. they want to say, "Hey, we helped save your shebs from the Vong, but when they were killing us, who helped us? We've gotten back on our feet, and without any help from your precious government. If you want to mess with us, arruetiise, you'll see how strong we are. We're Mando's. Nuff said." They owe nothing to anyone, and they like it that way. I'd say they are entering "boom" cycle--not of conquest, but of general strength and unity. Their Mandalore is stronger, they've found more beskar, they've got the best starfighter in the galaxy, and the Trak'ad, an alliance with the Verpines--everythings going their way.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Werda Verd wrote:

they like fighting--but don't seek it out, not if it doesn't pay. Now, if it pays, and the Mandalore says "go" they go. if they need money, they'll do jobs on the side. But their primary concern, now, as i see it, is to appear strong to the rest of the galaxy. they want to say, "Hey, we helped save your shebs from the Vong, but when they were killing us, who helped us? We've gotten back on our feet, and without any help from your precious government. If you want to mess with us, arruetiise, you'll see how strong we are. We're Mando's. Nuff said." They owe nothing to anyone, and they like it that way. I'd say they are entering "boom" cycle--not of conquest, but of general strength and unity. Their Mandalore is stronger, they've found more beskar, they've got the best starfighter in the galaxy, and the Trak'ad, an alliance with the Verpines--everythings going their way.

Where'd you get most of this info?  Sounds like stuff I want to be reading   big_smile

The Mandalorian Wars Mando's did activly seek war, though.  It's pretty obvious when you listen to Canderous talk about it.  And they did it as a whole, not peicemeal like most later Mandos  *Jango/Boba/others randomly looking for money through violence.....IF that's what they were doing; but that's a different debate*

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Ralin Drakus wrote:

Where'd you get most of this info?  Sounds like stuff I want to be reading   big_smile

The Mandalorian Wars Mando's did activly seek war, though.  It's pretty obvious when you listen to Canderous talk about it.  And they did it as a whole, not peicemeal like most later Mandos  *Jango/Boba/others randomly looking for money through violence.....IF that's what they were doing; but that's a different debate*

Its mainly in the books KT has been writing for the legacy of the force series

Ale'ika Skirta wrote:
Ralin Drakus wrote:

Its mainly in the books KT has been writing for the legacy of the force series

Thanks, I really need to get those

yeah--how far in the EU have you read? RepCom is completely separate, but Legacy of the Force, as a whole series or just her books in it, could be confusing. Good books though

--Captain Dynamic--

See i dont find the Legacy books to be confusing, they make more sense if you read the Dark Nest Trilogy first

yeah--if you've read NJO and Dark nest, they're not, but if not....it would be.

--Captain Dynamic--

well not so much NJO because it explains things well in legacy as far as that goes

To be honest, I'm still a noob as far as the EU goes.  That's why I try to limit my comments to the Mandalorian Wars Mandos, as I know a lot more about them having played KOTOR 1and2 and have studied other sources for them.  I'm sure you'all know a LOT more about the modern Mandalorians then I do

Ale'ika Skirta wrote:

well not so much NJO because it explains things well in legacy as far as that goes

yeah, but a couple of NJO deaths are shockers, or ruin the actual experience. more spoilers than anything.

--Captain Dynamic--

ancient egyptians inbred too..still sick no matter what. and yes many other cultures had an organized military system, the ancient korean kingdoms revolved around royalty and military, since the king lead the soldiers into battle.

another connect i realized was that somewhere i read that boba was leaner than jango [where as jango was built, and very strong], but still succeeded because he had strategy and could use his mind like that. NOW, from another source, i read about the first group of maori soldiers [not warriors] that went to fight in an european war..they were the tallest strongest men, but when it came down to it, they surrendered, but the second battalion of soldiers were much smaller, cept they had strategy so they managed to succeed.

__[i]VIPER[/i] out.
<my other car is the [i]Slave 1[/i]>

With KT's RepCom series *possibly* complete and the new sources of information coming from the *gag* Clone Wars TV series, seems like a good time to bring this thread back to life.

Has anybody changed their idea of what the Mando culture is?  Do any of the new members have a different idea?  Just curious if theres any new thoughts swirling around out there

While not fond of this "pacifist" group, it still does make sense that it's the only group that could thrive during that particular era, until they get wiped out big_smile

"Those with the ability to lead, have the responsibility to do so."

Are the stats set up by KT really being totally thrown aside?  I thought there were several million people who claimed to be Mandalorian in belief or liniage, both on Mandalore and spread across the galaxy.

The more I hear the more it sounds like the pacifists and a hand full of Death Watch are about the only "Mandos" left period

There's always some scattered, but only the death watch squad and the pacifists are organized, therefore they are the visible ones

BFFC therealmccoy wrote:

There's always some scattered, but only the death watch squad and the pacifists are organized, therefore they are the visible ones

i agree here, after every major defeat the mando's would do Ba'slan shev'la. translated Strategic disappearance according to KT, and every source ive seen said the same time they disappear and regroup and fight again, which after jango's encounter with the deathwatch a Ba'slan Shev'la would be fitting in my opinion, so a pacifists taking power would make sense because there was no one else since the death watch seems to operate more in the merc aspect. correct me if im wrong please because im not well versed in pre-clone war's mando history, but with the  end of the clone wars it and with the attempts of Fenn Shysa i can see the more acceptable mando's reemerging

death watch are more old school mandos

Jaster's "true" mandos are straight mercs, they have no drive to take over the galaxy and meaninglessly slaughter thousands of innocent people. old school mandos would have, like the death watch, in order to conquer systems. "true" mandos live by mereel's codex and have more of a sense of honor.

This question is one of the original reasons I started this thread.  Despite all the love I've heard expressed for the True Mandalorians and the utter hate and dispise I've heard said about the Death Watch *most of which is driven by KT and her work*, I can honestly say I am not really sure what the difference is between the two factions, or which one I would more closely align with for that matter.

My original version of the two was based on source material like Wiki and my copy of SW: The New Essential Chronology.  The Chronology states:

"Following the Mandalorians' extinction of the Ithulians a century and a half earlier, some clan members had expressed a desire to shed the amoral ways of the "Mandalorian Mercs."  Eventually, the charismatic Jaster Mereel came to lead the clans as Mandalore, and set down an idealistic code of conduct in the Supercommando Codex.  A Mandalorian named Vizsla attracted followers fond of the old ways, who formed the Death Watch faction.  Armed conflect broke out approximately 60 B.B.Y."

My original interpretation of this passage was that Jaster and the True Mandalorians were tired of the ways of the aimless mercenary lifestyle and wanted to return to the era of Revan; the Honor bound crusaders who sought glory in battle at the expense of the rest of the galaxy.  KT's *and everybody elses for that matter* interpretation seems to have been the reverse.  Probably my fault for never having actually seen the original material, but that's where I was coming from

Therefore, if the type of Mando I just described above is more like a Death Watch then a True, *and I hope I don't get banned from the site for admitting this*, I might have to say that I'd be more in line with them than Jaster's/Jango's ideals. 

But that being said, from what I've heard Vizsla and her companions didn't live up to their own ideals; they were back-stabbers and merciless raiders rather then honor bound crusaders on any level.  I think my ideal Mando that I originally believed was the True Mandalorians is actually some mixture of the two groups... mine only exists within my own characters, and not actually existing any more in current canon *the only ones we had were the KotOR era Mandos.* 

Things have become so poluted with new material that it's hard to say exactly what either group is anymore, especially with the Death Watch being written for again in the TV show.  Does anybody think they have the most current and up to date version of what each group was/is?  And what it was that made them so different that it caused a civil war?

I think that it is basically shown, in the game Star Wars KNights of the Old Republic.

Canderous Ordo makes many refreances to the Mando culture.

The Six Actions or Resol'nare is practically the Mandalorian Culture, just in a simpler form.

Resol'nare

1. Wear the armor.

2. Speak the language.

3. Defend yourself and your families.

4. Raise your children as Mandalorians.

5. Contribute to the clan's welfare.

6. When called to arms by Mandalore, rally to his cause.

Even through death you cannot be killed. If you are a true Mandalorian you will live on and be remembered forever. -Kom'rk Vhett