Re: What Spoils Boba Fett's Uniform

The sniper sat on top of the roof, they had heard that Boba Fett was comeing, but there was no way he could do anything. The guy was a ghost. He looked through the scope, and suddenly he saw a large tubeular object sticking up from behind a rock. "That can't actually be...." He thought to himself. He grinned and pulled the trigger. A shock wave hit him, and a helmet landed beside him. He was getting promoted for this.

(Your point is very good and I agree.)

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

52 (edited by Ralin Drakus Tuesday, December 25, 2007 7:21 pm)

Been wondering about the leg armor thing.

How much protection does the flightsuit provide??  It’s like a light armor or heat resistant mesh, right?  How much is he really losing without the plates?? 

I’m sure the suit alone isn’t nearly as good; but maybe he figures it’s good enough that he can save the weight

(anybody know how much the armor plates are supposed to weigh??  If they’re actually really light, this argument is over; he just feels he doesn’t need them)

PS  I agree with A_A; good point about the missile.  Looks badass to me for some reason, but it's really WAY too tall

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

It's unlikely though that would detonate the missle considering it's not armed until a few seconds after it's launched, but I do see you point. But personally, I like the entire suit how it is.

"This IS my signature."

That's also true; if it was susceptible to incoming fire or (as I could easily see it doing; which is another reason not to have it) banging against the back of his helmet every time he hit the deck, our favorite bountyhunter would have been vaporized long ago

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

I think the boots spoil it also.

The pen is mightier than the blaster!

Theres only 1 thing I personally dont like about Fett's gear, and Its the exposed spaces on his thighs and shins. Unlike Jango, Boba doesnt have shields on his thighs or shins, which would help him in protection. All Fett would need to do is attatchthe shields on-top of his pockets so he'd have both.

TW

{MW} [color=#FF0000]"Death and Destruction to our Enemies!"[/color]
[color=blue]Listen to My Rap Songs!![/color] [url=http://www.myspace.com/dinonkeys]www.myspace.com/dinonkeys[/url]

I agree, actually. I like Jango's armor more than Boba's (although I still prefer the green-red theme).
Dunno, it's lighter than the typical neo-crusader or what armor, but looks a bit cheap.
Not cheap, it looks plain. Cheap. Like there were more parts to it and he removed them.

"He who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."
                                                                               William Shakespeare

58 (edited by Devil Girl Friday, April 25, 2008 12:44 pm)

I think the shoes are the only thing about it that could be improved.

I do not think they are that bad, but i just think they could be better.

I think they should be more substantial like boots.

Jedi photographer - May the focus be with me.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/devil_girl/]Photographs[/url]

yes, the shoes leave a lot to be desired.  And I also have to say I never liked the yellow paint on the shoulder bells.  It's ok with the green armor, but still, just not a yellow fan

Hah, you're absolutely right!
I'd go with something green-black.
He was one of the best, after all. I cannot believe he did not have the credits or sth..
I like the rugged theme, though.. Seems logical.

"He who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."
                                                                               William Shakespeare

Its funny I never noticed the braids untill I read this thread and now I noticed that they were very much there, and on my action figure as well. It makes me curious as to what the real story is behind them. I was not under the impression that Sintas was blonde. (not that that has much to do with anything).

As a boot lover myself I am dissapointed with Boba's. There are SOOOO many options as to what would look cool there that there is no need to have them look anything less than kickass.

I agree that Jango's leg armor seems a bit more effective when it comes to protection than Boba's. jango seemed to fine enough in them and I don't see why Boba wouldn't need them. After seeing Iron Man it makes me think that if they were too heavy that there could be some sort of mechanical system that would ease the strain.

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

Okay, speaking as one that wears Mando armour on a very regular basis. ~ Shin and thigh armour IS a little restrictive. It's not heavy but compared to not wearing it, kneeling, bending and stretching are restricted; not much but enough to effect comfort. I have shin armour plates but find wearing them less comfortable then not wearing them.
The jetpack needs to be big enough to lift a grown armoured adult, make the pack smaller and it wouldn't lift as much. As to the missile, yes it's a one shot weapon (until the opportunity to reload occurs) but it is a high explosive anti vehicle warhead, it would be used in an emergency situation or when facing something that the rest of the suit weapons and personal weapons can not handle. The weight isn't too much of an issue (mine weights about 15lbs, half the weight of the ones Jeremy wore in the films) and I can wear it all day with only mild discomfort after around 8hrs or so. A trained combat soldier wouldn't have any real problem with it. Plus you get used to ducking through small and low places, you'd be surprised how quickly you become aware of the space you occupy with the jetpack on.
The boots are practical, comfortable, protective to a degree and reliable, what else do you need in a combat boot? As to the Wookiee braids, why not show off your skills? It's a Mandalorian trait to take trophies and to take them from Wookiees shows you are an exceptional warrior.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/OrtharRrith/OrtharRrith-1.jpg[/img]

I'm still not convinced they're wookie scalps, but that's just me....

Its just how the armor is made, if you can make it so it doesn't restrict hip/knee/ankle movement it should be ok, then you have to think about how much a soldier must carry into battle, today that could be upwards of 125 pounds. Then for Boba, hes wearing probably about that, without a rucksack, or anything of that sort thats just his armor and jetpack and weapons. I don't like his boots, just how they look

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Adeptus_Astartes wrote:

Its just how the armor is made, if you can make it so it doesn't restrict hip/knee/ankle movement it should be ok,

But then it's no longer Mandalorian armour. Redesign the armour, take away the Mandalorian shapes that make it what it is and you've not got Mandalorian armour anymore. Take Stormtroopers and Clonetroopers, the armour design is an evolution of Mandalorian armour. The plates being fully encasing rather then segmented like Mando plates, the end results... armour you are seriously restricted in (trust me, I've worn it). Mando armour is by comparison very unrestricted, even with the shin and thigh armour that Jango wears. Full leg armour like Jango's gives you protection but at the cost of a small amount of mobility. Perhaps Boba finds wearing it impractical for his style and needs. Perhaps having extra space to store equipment and tools is more useful to him then having the extra protection provided by thigh and shin plates.
The fact that most combatants are trained to shoot at the torso and failing that the head could also be part of a contributing factor to Boba feeling there is less of a need for shin and thigh armour.
As to protecting the hips, the armour Boba wears actually does that. The cod-piece joins to the kidney plate and protects the hips, it's actually quite comfortable to wear and does not impede movement. The same with the knee plates, they provide excellent protection (the only weakness is from behind) whilst not interfering with mobility and providing an excellent weapons platform, so no problem there. Even thigh plates don't pose a problem (I've never worn these) although it seems pretty obvious that Boba wanted practical pouches instead of armour there.
The problem occurs when the shin plate is worn and the wearer is required to kneel, crouch or otherwise bend in a way that means the shin plate digs into the wearer. It's not a big problem but combined with space needs, could be a contributing factor as to why Boba forgoes the added protection until the later books.  Armoured boot spats DO restrict movement of the ankle and can be very painful on the joints should you kneel wrongly whilst wearing them (I do wear them as you can see in my photos http://www.bobafett.com/multimedia/gall … &pos=3 )

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/OrtharRrith/OrtharRrith-1.jpg[/img]

66 (edited by Merciless Mandalore Tuesday, May 6, 2008 7:38 pm)

I think that his armor is a little skimpy. It's mostly just a canvas-like body suit with a few Beskar plates. Those are great, but he needs more, and energy shields would definitely help. I guess the fact he survives without all this stuff makes him all that much more cool, but it's slightly unrealistic, even by SW standards. I will say that he is still immensely cool looking, though.

(by the way someone should check out my fanfic. search hunter's shadow in the board search. noone's commented on it yet.)

"Some soldiers say that to reach maximum combat efficiency, they need to be in the zone. Sir; I live in the zone." - RC 1207 'Sev' to RC 1138 'Boss'