Topic: What misconceptions of Star Wars did you have as a kid?

We all had them... simple misunderstandings like 'Lifesaver' and 'Dark Vader.' I know I'm not the only one.
Also, I thought Boba Fett didn't have a face, that his black visor was actually an emptiness under his helmet!! tongue
Another, that I had when I was a bit older from when Star Wars Episode I came out, is that when I saw the first scene with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon flying towards the Trade Federation space station, I thought that it was the Death Star and that it used to have a ring around it!
I probably had more, but I can't remember if I did...
Well, what about you??

-BFFC Manji aka Jess

Re: What misconceptions of Star Wars did you have as a kid?

Well, I thought that Boba Fett was secretly a woman....

Estuans interius ira vehementi SEPHIROTH!
BFFC Moderator

3 (edited by BFFC Manji Monday, February 13, 2006 5:10 pm)

Why would you think that? He doesn't exactly look/sound feminine. (I'm not trying to make you feel stupid) I'm just curious...

-BFFC Manji aka Jess

When Han says "Short help is better than no help at all, Chewie." in ROTJ, I always thought he was saying "We're sure doing better than we did at El Geldaltch." I have no idea why.

Also, before TPM came out and I saw the action figures and stuff I always thought TPM was a remake of the OT and that Anakin was Luke and for some reason they decided to start it off earlier in Luke's life than ANH did. I also thought that meant Qui-Gon was Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan was Anakin. I didn't get it even while watching the movie. It wasn't until Anakin says, "I'm a person and my name is Anakin." That I figured out it was a prequel. lol

I know I had others too, but I can't remember them right now.

Reality doesn't care if you believe in it.
[url]http://www.townparkradio.com[/url] - Video Game Remix Music

I used to think the Trade Federation control ship was the Death Star, and Anakin just blew up that outer ring. Then I thought Luke partially destroyed the ball part, and Lando destroyed the remains.

I also thought Boba Fett was a type of stormtrooper...

[url=http://s7.invisionfree.com/starwarsplanet/][b]Please check out my message board, Star Wars Planet![/b][/url]

Manji_Ninja wrote:

Why would you think that?

Because the first books I ever read were the Young Jedi Knights series, which includes the scene where Nolaa Tarkona accuses him of being a woman.  And my first fansite experience was discovering the Campaign for a Female Boba Fett.  Being a young feminist preteen, I was only too happy to jump onto the bandwagon.

Estuans interius ira vehementi SEPHIROTH!
BFFC Moderator

I used to think that when they were on the skiff in ROTJ that Han was yelling out "Bomerfang? Bomerfang? Where, where?"... I didn't know the name of the cool guy with the jet-pack...

Also, can I get an age check here? TPM was out about 7 years ago, and your sounding like you were 5 or 6 when you first saw it... you're making me feel old! big_smile I thought everyone knew they were prequels set before the events of the classic trilogy, but maybe that was just us old 20 somethings scrounging aint it cool news, or jedinet for any little bit of information.... I'm 28 now BTW....

As seen on YouTube: [url]http://www.youtube.com/BobaFettGuru[/url] or [url]http://www.youtube.com/welcomestranger[/url]

I'm 19 right now, I was 12 in 1999. I was kinda out of it around then. tongue

9 (edited by Ursula Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:51 pm)

I don't know if this counts or not, but, back in the old days, but, when I finally got to see Emprie (which wasn't too long after it opened) I was genuinely shocked that Vader was Luke's father.  And I mean Eyes popping out of Head shocked!  I couldn't figure out how he went from Skywalker to Vader. I did know Obi Wan did something involving a volcanic pit, but I couldn't figure out how you live through taking a bath in molten lava, and a part of me thought "Hmm, maybe he's lying?"  and it took Jedi (and, all the stuff in the SW fan club) to convince me otherwise.

(It may also have been my long standing fued with David Prowse affecting my jugement. I was at a creation convention with a friend, and we were in line for autographs from a few people, and we had hooked up with a quartet of Star Trek geeks dressed like an away party. Anyway, David was giving a lecture and we were waiting right by where he was talking, and we got into a heated argument over who was cooler, Han Solo, or Captain Kirk - this was pre Empire.  Anyway, Prowse stopped the lecture and yelled at us. Which stopped the argument dead in it's tracks. Years later I met him at a Comic Con, and at the time my husband was consdiering hosting one up where we live, so he got Prowse's contact info for a guest appearance. How times change.  We never did host the Con, too much of a pain.)

I was also floored they renamed Jedi. Club members were sent all this stuff, and one of the things was a Revenge of the Jedi pencil.  Which I of course used down to the nub.  Then they go and change the name of the damn movie.

[url]http://museunplugged.blogspot.com/[/url]

Because the first books I ever read were the Young Jedi Knights series, which includes the scene where Nolaa Tarkona accuses him of being a woman...

Huh. Y'know what... when I was reading the Bounty Hunter Wars last year, this kid in my Biology class saw me reading it and he kept asking me questions about it one of the was: Isn't Boba Fett really a girl? And he seemed serious about it. I was like 'what ever gave you that idea? Haven't you seen Episode II? But he told me he read a book where it said Boba Fett had long blonde hair... I didn't ask much more about it because at that time we got in trouble for talking during class and I forgot about it later. So is he delusional or is there really a book that has Boba (or someone else in Mandalorian armor) with long blonde hair??

Oh, I must have been around 9 when Episode one came out. I'm 16 now... I didn't really know much about Star Wars up until about 2 years ago, lol. Also, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thought the Trade Federation ship was the Death Star. Why does George have to make it so confusing for the young kids? XD

-BFFC Manji aka Jess

There was that one guy in the old Marvel comics who was a Mandalorian, but I forget his name. He has blonde hair, and it's not long but some people would think he needed a hair cut. But those are comics, I dunno which book says he has that hair, if any of them do.

Oh, I guess he could have made that mistake. It might of been a fuzzy memory he had... lol.

I remember when I was first told by my mom's old boyfriend that C-3PO and R2-D2 weren't really robots. I found it nearly impossibly to believe that a midget contolled R2... tongue

-BFFC Manji aka Jess

This is really weird, so I'll do my best to explain. Basically, Episode I came out when Pokemon was in full swing. Well, my parents were REALLY against me seeing Star Wars at the time, so they tried my best to shelter me from it (ie distracting me from commercials, ranting about it, ect.), so I pretty much knew nothing about it. Well, during its release, some kids were explaining Star Wars to my teacher, and they had some pictures from the internet, and I walked by just as they were showing a picture of Watto. And this was my reaction:

"Oh no!! What did they DO to Scyther?! He looks deformed!!"

Thats right ladies and gents: I thought that Watto was a deformed Scyther from Pokemon.

Half Dragon, half human, 100% Fett!

I just remembered two other things I thought:

When Obi-Wan says "The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly." I didn't understand him so I thought he said, "The gentleman's ways are not to be taken lightly." I thought that meant that Obi thought Luke should thank him a lot for saving him from the sandpeople. lol

The other was when Obi-Wan was killed. I thought he'd used a Force trick to very, very quickly jump out of his robes and run away and Vader was curious as to how Obi had jumped out so fast and that's why he touched the empty cloak...

I thought Lightsabres only came in green because thats what they always showed in Muppet Babies: the green Jedi variant. It was only when I snuck a watching of A New Hope at a friends house when I was seven did I see the blue and red variants. Pretty silly, really.

Half Dragon, half human, 100% Fett!

CeciliaCrimsondragonFett wrote:

This is really weird, so I'll do my best to explain. Basically, Episode I came out when Pokemon was in full swing. Well, my parents were REALLY against me seeing Star Wars at the time, so they tried my best to shelter me from it (ie distracting me from commercials, ranting about it, ect.), so I pretty much knew nothing about it. Well, during its release, some kids were explaining Star Wars to my teacher, and they had some pictures from the internet, and I walked by just as they were showing a picture of Watto. And this was my reaction:

"Oh no!! What did they DO to Scyther?! He looks deformed!!"

Thats right ladies and gents: I thought that Watto was a deformed Scyther from Pokemon.

lol, that is very funny... smile

Miba wrote:

I just remembered two other things I thought:

When Obi-Wan says "The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly." I didn't understand him so I thought he said, "The gentleman's ways are not to be taken lightly." I thought that meant that Obi thought Luke should thank him a lot for saving him from the sandpeople. lol

The other was when Obi-Wan was killed. I thought he'd used a Force trick to very, very quickly jump out of his robes and run away and Vader was curious as to how Obi had jumped out so fast and that's why he touched the empty cloak...

That is funny as well. smile

I also remember another misconception I had... I always remembered Darth Vader's TIE fighter exploding when it got hit by the Falcon. I thought he was like some kind of ghost or something in ESB.

[url=http://s7.invisionfree.com/starwarsplanet/][b]Please check out my message board, Star Wars Planet![/b][/url]

Sharpy wrote:

I used to think that when they were on the skiff in ROTJ that Han was yelling out "Bomerfang? Bomerfang? Where, where?"... I didn't know the name of the cool guy with the jet-pack...

i used to think he was shouting "Boomer" lol. http://blogs.starwars.com/Macleod85/5

"This is where my theme song would kick in, if I had a theme song. And not that Flash Gordon movie thing, either." —The Flash

Well, I don't have anything really interesting to say on this topic. But my sister thought that in the opening scene of tESB that Luke (riding on the tauntaun) was Leia... Well they are TWINS after all... "D

"Whoever is a highly evolved, super-genius raise your hand."  *raises hand*   "Oh."     
-----[color=#FF0000]Rodney McKay[/color]

i used to think stormtroopers where cyborg type creatures, and when han was been tortured on bespin, that he was been tortured by a machine that turned men into stormtroopers.

There's more obvious stuff like "dark vader" which has been mentioned.

"This is where my theme song would kick in, if I had a theme song. And not that Flash Gordon movie thing, either." —The Flash

LOL, these are all so funny! Y'know, my little half-sister just saw Episode 1 a year ago, and she really doesn't understand much because she is only 5 and only has Episode 1 at her house. Well, anyways, she's thinks Darth Maul's name is 'Star Wars,' I think it's so cute. She's a little tomboy and the last time I saw her last summer (She lives up north and I live in NC) she would always pretend she was 'Star Wars' everytime we played an imaginary game.

Also, this is another one I had. Upon first seeing Darth Vader unmasked, I though he looked really funny. The first thing I said was 'He looks like he has an egg for a head!'
And I though Princess Leia was the Princess of the whole galaxy...

-BFFC Manji aka Jess

i used have thoughts aswell, like imagen what Darth Vader's and Boba fett's parents think of what they have became. and it seems strange but i always imagend that Boba's parents where farmers on a desert world, like Tattoine. And they would be quite old fashinoed. Strange i know.

Also b4 i saw Episode 1, i thought the story was of palapatine trying to invade the republic with a huge battledroid army and that's how he came to power. and b4 episode 2, i assumed the clones attack the jedi and the republic stragiht away.

22 (edited by Miba Thursday, February 16, 2006 5:58 pm)

Oh, yes, I thought that too, about the Clones attacking the Jedi. I thought that's what AOTC would be.

I also didn't know Anakin and Padme got married. A little over a year after TPM came out someone on a forums said they hoped the wedding would be in "the next episode" (cause the title wasn't released yet) and I was all shocked.

Manji_Ninja wrote:

As did I, and I also thought that there was a species of Sarlaccs.

take it easy baby take it as it comes

draco fett wrote:
Manji_Ninja wrote:

As did I, and I also thought that there was a species of Sarlaccs.

I think that there is a species of Sarlaccs... The Sarlacc in episode VI is not the only Sarlacc in the universe... I am at least pretty sure it isn't...

25 (edited by Ph34r Friday, February 17, 2006 6:42 pm)

When I was a kid, I had no idea which movies came in what order, or what was going on. Then, I turned 5. I also didn't know who Fett was, but I remeber thinking "Dang, that guy with the helmet is cool."

YOUR AD HERE--this space for rent (or lease to own). Call 1-234-5678