Re: Karen Traviss...

tachyonblade wrote:

Boba Fett was much cooler before all of the elaboration.

static, 30 year old characters that never change are quite boring actually

"Those with the ability to lead, have the responsibility to do so." - Lucas McCoy

Re: Karen Traviss...

While it annoying at times that they are all shown as lovable messed up people (the clones), it makes sense. They're only 13, they're just kids in men's bodies trained to kill and have killed many many times. An adopted child forced to kill would be lovable and messed up. So it actually makes sense. She throws in descriptions of powerful rage and what not because when it comes down to it, they will destroy their enemies. And Kal feels like he's let them down because he adopted them and still can't offer them normal lives.

Do you guys agree?

"Some soldiers say that to reach maximum combat efficiency, they need to be in the zone. Sir; I live in the zone." - RC 1207 'Sev' to RC 1138 'Boss'

Re: Karen Traviss...

I agree with ya. Kal feels guilty about the abuse the republic did to the clones. That is why Kal and Vau took their clones and went into hiding and have been there to help other clones defect.

EEB- toor JAHT-nay toor ASH-ahd-KEE-ram-oor  - Today is a good day for someone else to die -

Re: Karen Traviss...

tachyonblade wrote:

And all of this over a character who was supposed to play a minor role in the background.
I would have preferred it if KT stuck to writing her own crap. Her books read like a British soap-opera.

Boba Fett was much cooler before all of the elaboration.

But I am really old-school.

LOL!!!  That about sums up my grief with her in a nutshell.  And nothing wrong with being old-school ner vod  wink 

However, in light of the possibility *or already a fact?* that all her work is about to go down the drain, I'd like to reflect back on the great things she's done for the Mando'ade

1. First and foremost, she gave us the Mandalorian language.  The first ever fully functioning Star Wars language!  How epic is that?  It must have taken a body and soul effort to put that much time and thought into such an undertaking; a job I can't even imagin.

2. She gave the Mando'ade the center stage in the creation of one of the jems to be saved from the mess that was the new trilogy: she strengthened the already present connection between the Mandos *Jango* and the creation of the Clone Army.  I loved her entire thesis of the Mando sergeants being used in the training of the clones and the affects Mando intructors would have on their charges because it mirrored my own ideas in a lot of ways.  Maybe that makes me a bit biased on this point, but I'm not too modest to say that I really liked the idea and I think she did really great things with it.

3. She resurected the Mandalorian culture.  I don't give her credit for 'creating' the Mando'ade because the KotOR games and comics came before her, and in all honesty I like their version a lot more then hers.  However, most of the places you would look before KT told use that Boba and/or Jango were either not Mandalorians at all or that they were the VERY last of their kind, wearing the ancient relics of a long destroyed culture that no longer had any bearing on the galaxy.  She brought the Mando'ade back into the very forefront of current events in the SW galaxy, and made them bigger then just Jango and Boba.

We can debate as to her delivery, the way she portrays Boba and the Mando'ade in comparison to the movies/KotOR/our wishful fantasies, and the actual weight and streangth of her characters and their individual stories, but taken into a whole I think her contributions outweigh any of her mistakes.

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Karen Traviss...

Well said Ralin. She did have some flaws but I as well tend to focus more on the good she did then the bad.

EEB- toor JAHT-nay toor ASH-ahd-KEE-ram-oor  - Today is a good day for someone else to die -

181 (edited by Ralin Drakus Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:44 pm)

Re: Karen Traviss...

Not exactly saying I focus more on the good then the bad that I felt she gave us; if you were to read back a bit when I was more active you'd see I've been one of the voices of opposition on this thread.  But again, whatever bad I may feel she caused to the Mandalorian culture, I'm trying to high light the positive controbutions I feel that she did make.

If any of the newer members who havn't seen my previous posts/work are curious as to what my idea of the Mandos should have been, you can check out My Post here on the boards where I combined KT's SW Insider artical about her version of the Mando'ade with my own version *I modified the artical to appear to be a comparison between the ancient Mandos and their decendents; the old-school Mandos are my work/interpretation, and the new-school Mandos are of course KT's.*  In my happy little world I've begun writing for the ancient Crusaders of the Mandalorian Wars era, and the RepCom/KT ideas of the culture are a modern evolution of the Mandalorian people.  Feel free to check it out and leave comments on what you think, where I'm wrong for if you agree, etc.

PS - I've noticed in my return to the boards that a LOT if not all of my old posts have a lot of weird coding in place of the  '  and  "  marks, so please forgive the mess.  If I notice any activity on any of my old posts/threads I'll try to go in and clean that out as I can.

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Karen Traviss...

Ralin Drakus wrote:

PS - I've noticed in my return to the boards that a LOT if not all of my old posts have a lot of weird coding in place of the  '  and  "  marks, so please forgive the mess.  If I notice any activity on any of my old posts/threads I'll try to go in and clean that out as I can.

ton of old news posts have that too, it happened when we changed servers

"Those with the ability to lead, have the responsibility to do so." - Lucas McCoy

Re: Karen Traviss...

Ahhh, was wondering what happend.  Thxs for the heads up.

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Karen Traviss...

BFFC therealmccoy wrote:
tachyonblade wrote:

Boba Fett was much cooler before all of the elaboration.

static, 30 year old characters that never change are quite boring actually

Yeah, well creating an entire mythology out of a character that was, at best, a background character, and never meant to be much more, I mean the guy didn't even have a name for a while, is pretty bunk too!

"D'oh!"
[url=http://www.bobafettfanclub.com/multimedia/galleries/thumbnails.php?album=lastupby&uid=1624]My Fan Art[/url]

Re: Karen Traviss...

No, there I disagree.

Boba's character and armor were BEGING to have stories pinned to them.  He was such an interesting looking and behaving character that it was unavoidable that he would attract a great deal of attention, and I think Lucas fumbled by under-utilizing him in Ep. V, and then by trying to undermine him in VI.  And despite both of these flubs Boba's potential was still intact.  I think the creation of the Mandalorian culture for the first comics and later the KotOR comics/games was one of the most epic steps ever.  They were Spartans, Vikings, and Crusader Knights all in one; everything I could hope to love!  It's Lucas's inablility to keep a rein on their storyline and never-ending rewriting that's pizzed me off. 

In short, creating an entire mythology out of a single nameless character isn't bunk; it's a response to a curious fandom that saw more potential in a character then his own creator did.  It's the mishandling and uncontroled rehashing of that culture and mythology that is

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."