Topic: Astronomy

For a report due next month, I'm researching Black Holes. Let me tell you, these things are FASCINATING!! If I was good at math, oh how I would LOVE to become an astronomer!!!

"Whoever is a highly evolved, super-genius raise your hand."  *raises hand*   "Oh."     
-----[color=#FF0000]Rodney McKay[/color]

Re: Astronomy

So, um...according to your research, could something like the Maw exist in reality?  Hundreds of black holes clustered around each other with a gap in the middle?

"If you don't want me to eat you.....SAY SOMETHING." 
-Captian Murphy

My fiancee is an enjoys doing a bit of astronomy for fun. He frequents the following website: www.iceinspace.com.au (it is an Australian site). wink

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Astronomy is great. I would want to become one if they had a purpose besides teaching in a college...

[url=http://s7.invisionfree.com/starwarsplanet/][b]Please check out my message board, Star Wars Planet![/b][/url]

5 (edited by RC-3222 Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:26 am)

BalanceSheet wrote:

So, um...according to your research, could something like the Maw exist in reality?  Hundreds of black holes clustered around each other with a gap in the middle?

Weeellll, to make a long story short, one of the ways a black hole forms is when a neutron star collapses in on itself. The singularity of a black hole, the center of the the BH, HAS ZERO VOLUME AND INFINITE DENSITY!!!!!!! I think that that is SO amazing!!! If you don't understand, then I'll clarify:

Say that a Black holes singularity is the size of a pin head. It still has the same weight, as when it was a star!!!!!!!! Anyway, I digress.

The singularity is surrounded by a thing called an Event Horizon. Basically, the EH is the space that surrounds the singularity. If you were floating in space, and you went past the EH,(In some BH I think that the EH is 3km across), you wouldn't be able to escape, since the speed needed to escape the EH is the speed of light, and nothing can go faster that the SoL.

Also another interesting fact, is this. If our sun became a BH, all that would change on Earth would be the temperature. Since Earth's orbit is "set into motion" by the strength of the sun's gravitational force, Earth's orbit wouldn't change, since a BH's weight is still the same as it was when it was a star, our orbit wouldn't change a bit!!

Back to the original question: You can't have Black Holes without first having stars. So, if in the GFFA, there was a region in space that had many many stars clumped together, it could be feasible, I think.

But if I did make a mistake in there, someone PLEASE tell me!!! wink

"Whoever is a highly evolved, super-genius raise your hand."  *raises hand*   "Oh."     
-----[color=#FF0000]Rodney McKay[/color]

I've always loved astronomy, when I was a kid, after I stopped telling people I was going to be a Jedi, I decided to tell them I would be an astronaut. lol, not anymore. I don't think I know a whole lot about it though, and I don't really take the time to learn more, but I don't really care, it's more of a casual fandom than a real fan type of thing.

Reality doesn't care if you believe in it.
[url]http://www.townparkradio.com[/url] - Video Game Remix Music

I have a question, how can you travel at light speed through space without hitting anything, I mean there is a lot of stuff in space to hit, how can you go and not hit anything!

"He's no good to me dead."- Boba Fett

8 (edited by Miba Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:29 am)

That's one of the reasons there's Hyperspace lanes. In order for them, in ANH, to have gone from Tatooine to Alderaan, they had to make a few stops at various planets to jump out of hyperspace and then back into hyperspace along a slightly different route. So it's a bit like planet hopping, only across an entire galaxy.

Or at least that's as much as I know.

Cool,I wanted to be an astronaunt when I was little,too.(Maybe this is something all sci-fi fans are into?)...but now I want to a Computer Graphic dude-thing.Anyway,basically I want to make graphics for games.But,I seem to be the only girl in my grade who's ever even touched a controller.I LOVE GAMES!!
To answer thesithlod's Q:way back when,the guys in starwars started to find "safe" Hyperspace Lanes.
Hey,RC-3332,no worries on our Sun becoming a BH,not enough mass,but,sadly,it will implode/explode in like a gazillion years.

They say that dreamers are an extinct breed. I say they're wrong.

thesithlord wrote:

I have a question, how can you travel at light speed through space without hitting anything, I mean there is a lot of stuff in space to hit, how can you go and not hit anything!

That is why they have a computer plot the trip. The better the computer, the more accurate. All ships travel at the same speed in hyperspace, light speed. That is why Han said he made the Kessel run in a number of parsecs, (I am not sure how many) and a parsec is a period of distance, not time.

[url=http://s7.invisionfree.com/starwarsplanet/][b]Please check out my message board, Star Wars Planet![/b][/url]

11 (edited by Miba Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:02 am)

"Less than 12 parsecs", and he did it by getting closer to the black holes than anyone else would.