Topic: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

There really doesn't seem to be much out there on IG-88's exploits, do you think it's because he's better off at the scrap yard? What are your thoughts?

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Sorry if I freak out here... but WHAT!?! IG-88 is one of the best bounty hunters ever. Only Fett could best him. If you read the Tales of the Bounty Hunters, you will agree. His amount of weapons is "too numerous to list" last I checked on the SW.com Databank. He could kill a dozen organics in a couple seconds, despite being surrounded. He doesn't get enough respect.

"Some soldiers say that to reach maximum combat efficiency, they need to be in the zone. Sir; I live in the zone." - RC 1207 'Sev' to RC 1138 'Boss'

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

I'll need to get a copy of the book. I'd say BOTH actually, he may be a great bounty hunter but I can see why Fett had to destroy him. He was trying to take away Boba Fett's bounty.

A man's worst enemy can't wish on him what he can think up himself. Yiddish saying

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Well he isnt much to look at, considering he is thrown together from an expresso machine parts in the cantina.  He has been given considerable prowess by the authors handling his stories, and any video game player can testify to how lethal he can be in a scrap yard.
his strength seems to come from his number crunching and over all weapon cache- but unless Lucas features him in the upcoming live action series- we can only speculate how good he is.

"mmmm, pistol whip." -Homer Simpson
[url=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42831046]Cujos' MySpace[/url]

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Ugh. IG-88 does not strike me as a bounty hunter, more like a cheap rent-a-security-bot.  His head is to good of a target i think

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Cujo wrote:

Well he isnt much to look at, considering he is thrown together from an expresso machine parts in the cantina.  He has been given considerable prowess by the authors handling his stories, and any video game player can testify to how lethal he can be in a scrap yard.
his strength seems to come from his number crunching and over all weapon cache- but unless Lucas features him in the upcoming live action series- we can only speculate how good he is.

That's true we really don't have very much information about IG-88.

A man's worst enemy can't wish on him what he can think up himself. Yiddish saying

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

totally under rated.
in the tales of the bounty hunters he takes a droid arm and throws it like a spear.
it goes through a guys back, exits through his chest, holding the guys heart.

how awesome is that!!!

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

That was probably my favorite part of the book....or at least one of them.

It was also funny when he took control of the Death Star, and played around with the door Palpatine was trying to get through. IG-88 is definitely one of the best bounty hunters.

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure" -IG-88

"None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination."

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

I read one story where it said IG-88 was one of a series like IG-88a, IG-88b etc that's why I wondered if he was substandard.

But I can imagine him being something like HK-47 out of KOTOR - perhaps a little less evil though tongue

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

BFFC-Mel wrote:

I read one story where it said IG-88 was one of a series like IG-88a, IG-88b etc that's why I wondered if he was substandard.

But I can imagine him being something like HK-47 out of KOTOR - perhaps a little less evil though tongue

The AB&C were just the other ones of him.

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Adeptus_Astartes wrote:

The AB&C were just the other ones of him.

Exactly. There was an IG-72 who escaped at the same time as the 88s, and became a body guard, small time BH, or something. But IG-88 is the ultimate hunter. He can out think, out gun, and outrun almost any opponent. The only way to kill him is someone with lots of experience, Mandalorian training, and just good instincts. (Boba)

"Some soldiers say that to reach maximum combat efficiency, they need to be in the zone. Sir; I live in the zone." - RC 1207 'Sev' to RC 1138 'Boss'

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

BFFC-Mel wrote:

I read one story where it said IG-88 was one of a series like IG-88a, IG-88b etc that's why I wondered if he was substandard.

But I can imagine him being something like HK-47 out of KOTOR - perhaps a little less evil though tongue

I love the HK-47 smile as for IG-88 I believe he's a good bounty hunter,although I don't really like him...

Fear! Fear attracts the fearful...fear is my ally.

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Commander Appo wrote:

That was probably my favorite part of the book....or at least one of them.

It was also funny when he took control of the Death Star, and played around with the door Palpatine was trying to get through. IG-88 is definitely one of the best bounty hunters.

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure" -IG-88

yeah, funny part...

good quote too

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

I dunno, for a droid he's pretty damn good. Killing his creator after his programming defects, then making three copies of himself, who are known as IG-88B,C and D (the original is known as IG-88A or just plain IG-88), is a pretty good way to get yourself known around the galaxy, and helps to get several bounties at once. Lots of cash.

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Whatsa droid gonna do with cash, power and everything else???

Some may run a short while, but none of them would bide.

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

IG-88 was the worst bounty hunter of all time. He even thought he could kill Boba. His purpose was an assassin droid.

"I swear by the soul I don't have, I am going to kill you."
―Boba Fett

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Well that makes no sense at all. An assasin would make a wonderful bounty hunter. And as a droid it was only logical to him that he could kill a squishy meatbag like Boba.

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

an assassin kills public figures, a bounty hunter kills for money. so really not much of a stretch there between the two. as smart, and dangerous of a droid ig-88 is, i'm kind of peeved by him. i dont like the idea of a robot being that free-willed since they run on programs in the first place. seems kind of dumb to me. but that's just me. scrap metal it is!

my view can be biased since i'm not a big fan of droids anyways

__[i]VIPER[/i] out.
<my other car is the [i]Slave 1[/i]>

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Cerastes_Vipera wrote:

an assassin kills public figures, a bounty hunter kills for money. so really not much of a stretch there between the two. as smart, and dangerous of a droid ig-88 is, i'm kind of peeved by him. i dont like the idea of a robot being that free-willed since they run on programs in the first place. seems kind of dumb to me. but that's just me. scrap metal it is!

my view can be biased since i'm not a big fan of droids anyways

LOL!

I dont like IG-88 either, he stands out to much...Like a safety orange Ghilie Suit

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Mandalore Hunter wrote:

IG-88 was the worst bounty hunter of all time. He even thought he could kill Boba. His purpose was an assassin droid.

Hardly, he could have probably become one of the greater bounty hunters if he hadn't underestimated Boba.

I'm smiling because they havn't found the bodies yet. :)
I think, therfore i am I destroy, therfore i endure - IG-88 tales of the bounty hunters

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Ah someone has come out rom the depths of non posting to defend his favourite bounty hunter!  Welcome back.

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Yep pretty much except Boba's my favorite bounty hunter tongue lol, cheers.

I'm smiling because they havn't found the bodies yet. :)
I think, therfore i am I destroy, therfore i endure - IG-88 tales of the bounty hunters

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

LOL good to see you back wink

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

I think he's a bit weird. A robot who is a... bounty hunter? hmm I thought robots can't think, they just do what their creator have adjusted them to do. And I think it's quite impossible to adjust aa robot to become a bounty hunter (I know, Star Wars series are very artificial, but still!!)

[color=red]Fatality![/color]

Re: IG-88's Purpose: Bounty Hunter or Scrap Metal?

Ah but artificial intelligence allows for thought, perhaps not in the same was as a living being, but enough for decisions to be made. Even though C3P0 and R2D2 follow orders they have their own personalities and make certain decisions for themselves.

Then of course there's HK-47 from KOTOR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HK-47

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...