Topic: Why is Halo so popular?

Now I've had a lot of members telling me how great Halo is. After playing some I really don't see what the go is. It doesn't seem to be any better than any other first player shoot 'em up I've played. In fact I think I preferred Red Faction.

So tell me, what's the big deal? Am I missing something?

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

nah, it's just a ton of sci-fi nerds. i don't think halo is all too great either.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

I dont know, i just enjoy it. I think the 1st one is the best.

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

The first one was good.  Then it just created such a following and the hype was made.

For example.  Why is Rocky Horror Picture show so popular?  tongue

Just unanswerable questions.

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

its a good game.
fun, straight forward
good controls

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Its an oversimplified FPS that is just the same drole over and over and over and over again and ppl just sit there and play and play and play.


No, i dont like Halo.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Valthonin wrote:

Its an oversimplified FPS that is just the same drole over and over and over and over again and ppl just sit there and play and play and play.


No, i dont like Halo.

I can tell. 

I just find it fun, dont ask why.

I think its a good thing that you dont have squadmates to look after, because at times with them it can seem to easy, like you just order them to go and die for you. Halo isnt the best, i like others more, but its an ok way to pass the time

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

The first may have been the best, especially parts of campaign. But Halo, when you go beyond the very basic story you see just playing through campaign, actually has a fairly deep story. The books expand this a lot, but even just going through and getting the terminals deepens the story.

The multiplayer is simple, but fun, especially if you get a ton of friends together for a custom game of infection or something.

Finally (I could go on about Halo, but I won't), Halo completely revolutionized the FPS genre. While it seems less than other games in some ways, they've borrowed a lot from it. Halo CE had a good story, and many modern games really don't have that, but that started to be more common. The Big 3 of shooting, meleeing, and using grenades is simple, but requires though on how to take down, say, a group of Brutes, depending on what they're wielding, how many, etc. It's simple, but still requires some though. Of course, you can run and gun.

But my main point is, Halo, especially Combat Evolved, has really changed the FPS genre, and should be respected for that. The story, too, if you take the time to learn it, is great too. The Multiplayer, especially for serious players, may not be as fun as, say, COD4. I'd say that COD's multiplayer is better, for serious gaming. But the campaign's story wasn't as good, and there are no more relaxed gametypes, like Infection, VIP, Juggernaut, Oddball, etc.


Long post. In short, I really respect what Bungie has done in the Halo Games.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Halo aint bad, but theres nothing special about it, its just death match like every single other game.

Your god won't be there to save you, or maybe I will

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

I like to think Halo 2 is responsible for the death of the health bar......:(

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Werda Verd wrote:

Halo CE had a good story, and many modern games really don't have that, but that started to be more common.

Actually when playing Halo I noticed that it had stolen and awful lot of lines from the Aliens film. Not only that but the soldiers and their Sarge looked almost identical.

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

I guess the storyline and the character himself is what make this game so popular.I recently played Halo 3...I enjoyed it,but not to the point of becoming addicted..:P

"From water we're born,in fire we die.We seed the stars."-Jangotat before his death.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Yeah. I like to play Halo. I have The first one and the second one

Both are really enjoyable as far as games get

You've been holding out on us again haven't you? Since you haven't given us enough money, I'll guess I'll have to take it out of you piece by piece! - Unknown Mandalorian.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

BFFC-Mel wrote:
Werda Verd wrote:

Halo CE had a good story, and many modern games really don't have that, but that started to be more common.

Actually when playing Halo I noticed that it had stolen and awful lot of lines from the Aliens film. Not only that but the soldiers and their Sarge looked almost identical.

Yeah I was going to mention that. Its also like, the EXACT same sarge from Predator. Complete with the little cap. And to counter post WV's post: I honestly dont think Halo revolutionized much of anything. It just took a game like Golden eye 007, kept the mechanics and gameplay and tossed in a few aliens. If you look at Halo, almost nothing in the game hasn't already been done before.

This sums up my opinion pretty well. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ … n/8-Halo-3

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

I never played the the first Halo, but I've played some matchmaking on Halo 2 ( along with most of the campaign) and I sometimes play on Halo 3. I think its being easy while challenging at the same time so I think the game may appeal to many levels of players. I like the just for fun not so serious games, like infection and the alike It not my favorite game, but over all its not bad in my opnion. But then again I've just got into these sorts of games, and haven't played all that you have.

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Well said, Si.

BFFC-Mel wrote:
Werda Verd wrote:

Halo CE had a good story, and many modern games really don't have that, but that started to be more common.

Actually when playing Halo I noticed that it had stolen and awful lot of lines from the Aliens film. Not only that but the soldiers and their Sarge looked almost identical.

I wouldn't know about Aliens, but Halo 1 was, what, 7 years ago? The graphics back then were far weaker, but Halo still had decent graphics for the time. If you mean their faces. The sarge might be a homage to the one in predator, but I wouldn't know.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Halo 2-3 are not that great but then again its not like theres that many things out there that are any better. It really depends on what you like. If you play FPS' but dont like sci-fi, then its most likely not for you.




And Mel when you say you 'played the game' did you play the whole game or did you play a level in the middle of the story and decided you didnt like it? Because somthing very much like that happened to me, and I went on ignoring halo intill close to the release of halo 3 came around...Which i deeply regret.

[i]"Sir, Finishing this Cake."[/i]

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Because its Halo.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

GLOPINO wrote:

Because its Halo.

that's not a real reason, i could create a game 10 times better.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:

And Mel when you say you 'played the game' did you play the whole game or did you play a level in the middle of the story and decided you didnt like it? Because somthing very much like that happened to me, and I went on ignoring halo intill close to the release of halo 3 came around...Which i deeply regret.

I started at the beginning, then Jawa jumped in and I watched him play. I must say I've played a fair share of first person shoot 'em ups and Halo's nothing new. I've played Alien vs Predator, which came out a long time before Halo and it's pretty much the same sort of story but a hell of a lot scarier.

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

It seems to me that Halo sure has many fans though....The games in the main Halo trilogy have sold over 20 million copies!That's a lot of money folks. tongue

Fear! Fear attracts the fearful...fear is my ally.

22 (edited by Mandal_ShadowWarrior Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:24 pm)

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

BFFC-Mel wrote:
Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:

And Mel when you say you 'played the game' did you play the whole game or did you play a level in the middle of the story and decided you didnt like it? Because somthing very much like that happened to me, and I went on ignoring halo intill close to the release of halo 3 came around...Which i deeply regret.

I started at the beginning, then Jawa jumped in and I watched him play. I must say I've played a fair share of first person shoot 'em ups and Halo's nothing new. I've played Alien vs Predator, which came out a long time before Halo and it's pretty much the same sort of story but a hell of a lot scarier.

I didnt think that AVP threatened the entire universe, and had an bio-enginered armored man killing an alliance of aliens. tongue


Fett_II wrote:
GLOPINO wrote:

Because its Halo.

that's not a real reason, i could create a game 10 times better.

Its alot harder than it looks Fett_II

[i]"Sir, Finishing this Cake."[/i]

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:
BFFC-Mel wrote:
Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:

And Mel when you say you 'played the game' did you play the whole game or did you play a level in the middle of the story and decided you didnt like it? Because somthing very much like that happened to me, and I went on ignoring halo intill close to the release of halo 3 came around...Which i deeply regret.

I started at the beginning, then Jawa jumped in and I watched him play. I must say I've played a fair share of first person shoot 'em ups and Halo's nothing new. I've played Alien vs Predator, which came out a long time before Halo and it's pretty much the same sort of story but a hell of a lot scarier.

I didnt think that AVP threatened the entire universe, and had an bio-enginered armored man killing an alliance of aliens. tongue

AVP DIDNT threaten the universe? So you consider a mass universe wide infestation of xenomorphs not a threat? And i think we're all tired of bio-engineered men in super armor...thats been done a hundred times already.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

There really wasnt a threat, the xenomorphs are not capable of of building/driving space ships and consuming the entire universe.


And yeah I'm kinda tired of all these bio-engineered dudes as well, I'm not saying it was great, I was just jokein around with Mel.

[i]"Sir, Finishing this Cake."[/i]

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Ah aliens. You know, its kind of impossible to have a sci-fi game without a reference to aliens. Ever play starcraft? tongue

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]