Topic: The Voice of Boba Fett

The voice of Boba Fett....or.....Boba Fett is a Trekker.

I was watching an old episode of Star Trek the other day.  Not the stupid looking new version that JJ Abrams is coming out with (I mean, come on, that ship IS NOT the Enterprise).  Why would you mess up a cultural icon like that?  Just plain stupid.  I think that's my one biggest beef with the whole thing that's going to ruin it for me.  Other than that, it doesn't look all that bad.  Anyway, as they were showing the credits at the beginning of the episode "The Empath," I had to rewind the Tivo real quick to make sure I saw what I thought I saw.  Sure enough, Jason Wingreen, the original voice of Boba Fett in the Empire Strikes Back was in the show.  I had never seen what he looked like before, so I searched on Memory Alpha (the Star Trek equivalent of Wookieepedia) and found an article on him, in case anyone ever wondered what the guy actually looks like. 

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Jason_Wingreen

I had been meaning to post this on here for a while, but what jogged my memory what the latest Star Wars email Newsletter.  This week's post was about George Takei (Mr. Sulu) doing the voice of one of the Trade Federation generals in the most recent Clone Wars cartoon. 

http://www.starwars.com/fans/rocks/news … tml?page=1

The email then went on to list other Trek actors that have also starred in Star Wars and they had Jason Wingreen in the list.  So, there you are.  Enjoy.

Oh, and for any Trekkies on the forums who may be interested, here's the first paragraph of the newsletter with the list of other actors (including Jason Wingreen):

This week is truly a moment in history. No, not the US Presidential inauguration; we're talking about the collision of two major sci-fi universes. A Star Trek  legend is guest-starring in this week's The Clone Wars episode, "Defenders of Peace." George Takei of Hikaru Sulu fame is voicing a Neimoidian officer, General Lok Durd. Though some fans like to imagine a competition between both venerable franchises, Star Wars and Star Trek have on occasion pulled from the same pool of acting talent. Here's a sample of cross-overs that have occurred in the past:

William Shatner: Okay, the legendary Captain Kirk has not appeared in any Star Wars materials, but he did memorably serenade George Lucas at 2005 AFI Lifetime Tribute and was carried away by dancing stormtroopers. That's gotta count for something.

Brock Peters: The actor most well known for his role in To Kill a Mocking Bird had several notable Star Trek appearances, as Admiral Cartwright in the classic Trek movies and the elder Joseph Sisko in Deep Space Nine. Star Wars fans may recognize his voice as Darth Vader in the National Public Radio dramatizations.

Malachi Throne: Another extremely distinctive voice in sci-fi, Throne played Commodore Jose Mendez in "The Menagerie" episodes of the original series, and Romulan Senator Pardek in TNG. It's his voice that narrates the very first Star Wars trailer that announces "somewhere in space... this may all happening right now."

Michael Bell: Kids who grew up in the '80s will remember Michael Bell's voice from a slew of cartoons, where he most famously played Duke in G.I.JOE. Bell was in the first TNG episode as Groppler Zorn and later played a Bajoran resistance fighter on DS9. In Star Wars, he is the voice of Commander Willard, who greets Princess Leia upon her arrival at the Yavin base.

Carel Struycken: Carel Struycken has made a career of playing outlandishly tall characters; you may remember him as Lurch in the new Addams Family movies. He played Mr. Homn, Lwaxana Troi's aide in TNG, and the evil Marauder King Terak in the second Ewoks live action TV Movie.

Fionnula Flanagan: She has played multiple roles in Trek, including Data's "mother" in TNG, a former lover of Dax's in DS9, and a Vulcan diplomat on Enterprise. In the first Ewoks TV movie, she played Catarine Towani, young Cindel's mom.

Ethan Phillips: Best known for his role as Neelix, the alien cook on Voyager, Phillips has provided voices to numerous Star Wars video games, iuncluding Force Commander, Galactic Battlegrounds and Knights of the Old Republic.

David Warner: Another unmistakable voice, Warner is best remembered as the Master Control Program in Tron. He has several major Trek roles, including Chancellor Gorkon in The Undiscovered Country and Gul Madred in TNG. He supplied his voice to an Imperial general in Star Wars video game, Force Commander.

Clive Revill: Revill was the voice of the original Emperor who appeared in the theatrical version of The Empire Strikes Back. He played Sir Guy of Gisborne, enemy of Robin Hood, in the fanciful TNG episode, "Qpid."

Raphael Sbarge: He played the recurring character of former Maquis crewman Michael Jonas on Star Trek: Voyager, as well as Carth Onasi, one of the main leads in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Felix Silla: A little person performer with plenty of sci-fi credits (he was Twiki on Buck Rogers!), Silla was both a Talosian in the very first Trek pilot, and also a stunt Ewok in Return of the Jedi.

Brian George: You may know him as Babu Bhatt on Sienfeld, this versatile character actor played Julian Bashir's father on DS9 and Anatarian ambassador O'Zaal in Voyager. In The Clone Wars, he plays the Toydarian monarch King Katuunko.

Jason Wingreen: Who would have thought Archie Bunker's bartender, Harry Snowden, would have such sci-fi cred? In addition to playing Dr. Linke in the original series episode "The Empath," he was the original voice of Boba Fett in the theatrical edition of The Empire Strikes Back.

--Sadriel Fett (BFFC Moderator)
"I'm just a simple Fan, trying to make my way in the universe."

Re: The Voice of Boba Fett

WOW, now THAT'S in interesting find.......  I HAD always wondered what that guy looked like.  Awesome find there Sadriel!

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

I never knew he was in All in the Family either. o_O And my parents watch that show all the time! Definitly paying more attention next time it's on.

Half Dragon, half human, 100% Fett!

I don't believe I remember that episode. I'll have to dig it out and watch it. Pretty good find there Sadriel.

Disciple Sift Through Lies; Few Grains Of Truth Be Known...

CeciliaCrimsondragonFett wrote:

I never knew he was in All in the Family either. o_O And my parents watch that show all the time! Definitly paying more attention next time it's on.

Same here, Cecilia.  I'm guesing that since he plays the bartender on the show that he has a heavy New York accent, though.  It's been so long since I've seen it, I can't remember him at all.

--Sadriel Fett (BFFC Moderator)
"I'm just a simple Fan, trying to make my way in the universe."