1 (edited by Dageen Fett Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:44 pm)

Topic: The Sensitivity of Mr. Fett

With Karen Traviss' new book 'Bloodlines' released the beginning few pages reinstate the fact that Boba has a daughter, Ailyn Vel, and this to many fans (especially the OT fans) is not who Boba fett is,that being a father. To many it shows weakness, that he showed emotion to another, and that it also changes who his character was (OT). Me being a Boba Fett fan since the ripe age of 7 grew up seeing this bounty hunter as ruthless and uncompasionate. Now with the new trilogy out it showed a new side of Fett, his young side and with that the junior novel's. These books showed a different side of Fett seing as he was young, immature and not as ruthless as we had seen him in 'Empire'. Now knowing this it starts to change the perception we see Fett. When we hear he has a daughter we still imagine seeing the bounty hunter standing next to others such as Bossk and IG-88 while Darth Vader puts the bounty on Han Solo's head. Taking into consideration that this is him as 34 year old it is tough to see him as the 17 year old who would not have the same personality as the 34 year old version of himself. Here is my argument; Boba was 17 when he became a father, at this stage in his life he was going through a tough emotional stage, and thus it seems that in fact Boba having a child doesn't seem as far fetched as every one believes and Ailyn's canon should in essence be accepted amoung "Fett Fans" everywhere.

"I will bet all my Star Wars guys. Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait! Except Boba Fett. No matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fett man."
―Peter Griffin

Re: The Sensitivity of Mr. Fett

I think the whole Sintas/Ailyn thing should be accepted. Emotional reasons aside, anyone as notorious as Fett would be smart to have a child, if nothing else to carry on the name and the profession. And you gotta have someone to inherit all the Slave ships.
I am almost out of being a teenager. Still am, techically. Teenagers do stupid things. It's a fact. We live for the moment and don't think about regretting things later. No matter how well trained a teenager is, he/she is still a teenager, having little control over hormones and emotions.
What stumps me about the whole Ailyn/Boba thing is that she didn't make peace sooner or at least have a less hostile attitude towards Boba. He was sort of doing Ailyn and Sintas a favor by staying away; if he kept dropping in or contacting them, someone in the galaxy who wanted to get back at Boba might harm Sintas or Ailyn.

This one is against the whole idea.  While I admit that it has become canon with Karen Traviss's new novel, (and won't argue over that because it doesn't conflict with anything but Boba's personality), I find it ridiculous that Traviss would decide to canonize something based off of a Tales comic...

"If you don't want me to eat you.....SAY SOMETHING." 
-Captian Murphy

I agree with your theory of staying away because someone might want to get back at Boba but also disagree with it being ridiculous that she would take it from a Tales comic because a lot of great stuff comes from non-canon material and it is better that she took something already out there then make something new on her own making it conflict with canon and Ailyn at the same time. For all we know she could have decided to make Boba loose his "man hood" in a freak bounty accident and thus had no children, which would in some aspects make him even less of a notorious persona we know. So I like that she canon'd it and made it official before someone else did.

"I will bet all my Star Wars guys. Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait! Except Boba Fett. No matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fett man."
―Peter Griffin

SD_Chick wrote:

I think the whole Sintas/Ailyn thing should be accepted. Emotional reasons aside, anyone as notorious as Fett would be smart to have a child, if nothing else to carry on the name and the profession.

If he'd wanted a child to continue the legacy, he'd have done what Jango did.

SF

Boba: Lord Vader, I bring good news.--Vader: You have captured Solo?--Boba: No.--Vader: Then what is it?--Boba: I just saved 15% on starship insurance by switching to Geiko! {MW}

I can't remember if I've said this before, and no doubt it's been seen and heard in the Bounty Hunter game, Jango wanted Boba unaltered, which meant he'd be like a NORMAL person/bounty hunter, also meaning emotions being intact, I know you're all attached to the ruthless bounty hunter side of Boba, but things can change, people sometimes want to see a different side to a person. And I don't think Boba would want to clone himself, besides it's physically impossible, you can't clone a clone, from a clone. Boba is the best, straight up, but there's always a background story, no matter how disappointing it may sound, the creators wanted to humanize Fett, nothing wrong there. 

SabreMandalore

You hear that Sev, someone thinks I'm excellent-Scorch
Well that makes two of you-Sev

For scientific reasons, cloning a clone is a bad idea. You have more of a chance of bad recessive traits showing up- it's like making a copy of a copy. Anyone every tried that with a Xerox machine? The more copies you make, the crappier it looks!

Dageen Fett wrote:

For all we know she could have decided to make Boba loose his "man hood" in a freak bounty accident and thus had no children,

He did.  After the sarlacc. Not necessarily to that level, but he does plainly state afterwards that he could never have children, and that he had no desire to anyway. (and I know that doesn't conflict with him having a kid at 17, so no need to point that out.)

When you start canonizing Tales, things can get really screwed up.  That's all I have to say about that. 

Well, cloning technology is pretty far advanced in the SW universe...the Emperor cloned himself all the time during the Dark Empire era.  So it shouldn't necessarily be limited to what we believe is impossible to do...heck, sounds in space are impossible, SW is full of stuff that shouldn't work, but does.

-Captian Murphy

In Wookiepedia it states:
"In an attempt at a normal life, he married her[Sintas Vel]. The two later later conceived a child, Ailyn Vel, who was born in 15 BBY. Fett's job allowed for few attachments, however, and the relationship failed to last long, Fett abandoning his family less than three years later."
Which means he wanted to settle down and raise a family. The only thing that screwed that up was when he was a Journeyman Protector and he killed another which in turn meant he had to leave the planet and family behind causing him to have" ...failed in his attempts to be a regular man, Boba Fett once again fully dedicated himself to the bounty hunting trade." ( from Wookie also) So say he didn't kill a fellow Journeyman, he would not have picked up the bounty hunting trade again or for "fates" sake he would again be a bounty hunter but would mean he stayed with Sintas and raised Ailyn and she would not have grown up hating her father ( and mean she wouldn't impersonate him because noone likes a Boba Fett impersonator) So I think the idea of Boba doing what his father did and clone himself is definitly a no-no. And i agree with BalanceSheet about canonizing tales, it does get screwed up, especially if they were to canonize some of the Darth Maul 1/2 cyborg ones, but also taking into consideration that exravagancy I am still glad Ailyn was canonized before something worse came along.

―Peter Griffin

Hey...........ya know I dont see a problem with that. Yeah! I think its ok actually! big_smile I never knew he would LEAVE his family. Now Im thinking the other way about Aylin Vel.........but to answer the question originaly asked.........Boba Fett just wanted a normal life for once. Is that SO bad???

TW

{MW} [color=#FF0000]"Death and Destruction to our Enemies!"[/color]
[color=blue]Listen to My Rap Songs!![/color] [url=http://www.myspace.com/dinonkeys]www.myspace.com/dinonkeys[/url]

True Warrior wrote:

Hey...........ya know I dont see a problem with that. Yeah! I think its ok actually! big_smile I never knew he would LEAVE his family. Now Im thinking the other way about Aylin Vel.........but to answer the question originaly asked.........Boba Fett just wanted a normal life for once. Is that SO bad???

TW

I'm sorry, I'm really unable to see what you're thinking from this post.
What's okay and what are you thinking about Ailyn Vel?
Just curious.

I agree that maybe too much emotion, or compassion with this "new" Fett was created.  I wasn't so sure I liked it at first, in fact, it really pissed me off.  But after I read for a while, I decided that I love this sort of "new" Fett, because it's different, and good.  It's maybe what Fett has been thinking all along, but no one knew it... they couldn't ever see past his visor. 

I give Karen Traviss a high five, and hug.  Fett's life can now end, and perhaps be carried on by another character that will eventually have a fan site.  wink

Everyone dies.  I bow to no one and I give service only for cause.

SD_Chick wrote:
True Warrior wrote:

TW

I'm sorry, I'm really unable to see what you're thinking from this post.
What's okay and what are you thinking about Ailyn Vel?
Just curious.

I was saying that since Boba left his family, I feel different about Aylin Vel. I used to dispise the fact that Boba carried an nurtured his little daughter, but now I feel different about it.

Moving on...

TW

{MW} [color=#FF0000]"Death and Destruction to our Enemies!"[/color]
[color=blue]Listen to My Rap Songs!![/color] [url=http://www.myspace.com/dinonkeys]www.myspace.com/dinonkeys[/url]

I agree with Mandalorian i love this new Fett too and the more i think about it, this info had to be canon'd because it adds to Fett's character, he gets hardened by his fathers death and hates jedi from it even more, well he leaves his family and that must eat him away on the inside which just makes him more, i guess the word is rugged, and if he hadn't left his family behind he may not have been even as notorious when we see him in 'Empire'. So to add more pain to Fett just makes him more of the character we love.

―Peter Griffin

In another thread i though tof something and want to add it to mine. what is Ailyn was a guy, would it change the way we so Boba? would he have tried harder because he would have seen himself in the boy?

―Peter Griffin

Personally, i feel that Fett needs a little emotion. It makes him seem more human, more easy to relate to. I can see why he left the family...it wouln't have been safe for them if he had stayed. I totally agree with ya, Dageen Fett. You too, TW.

"Die? Didn't you know that Spartans never die?'- Spartan-051 "Kurt"

nice avatar Mandalore Stargazer and yea, a little emotion never hurt anyone.

―Peter Griffin

I believe that Boba Fett has feelings and emotions like everyone else does. The difference is that when he needs to, like when he’s bounty hunting, he can push them aside and become the emotionless man that we usually see. It’s what keeps him alive…I think.

"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
     --Boba Fett

It may keep him alive on the outside appearance but it could be klling him on the inside.

―Peter Griffin

Dageen Fett wrote:

yea, a little emotion never hurt anyone.

It hurt me...*sobbing in the corner*...

Well, any classic Fett that gets inside his head doesn't seem to show any emotion...Traviss-Fett will be changing that a lot, yes.  But I don't think Fett is the kind of guy who existed outside of what he does, what defines him...bounty hunting.  I don't see him watching a movie and enjoying himself, or really doing anything for recreation or amusement.

-Captian Murphy

hmm, you raise a very good point. no im stuck in between how i feel about this situation.

―Peter Griffin

What I meant to say is that he does have feelings. I’m sure he never lets anyone else know that and even when he’s by himself he probably rarely outwardly shows it. No, I’m pretty sure Fett doesn’t sit down and watch movies or play games for entertainment, he probably rarely relaxes. I think his job has forced him to be so compassionless and wary of other people that he feels he can’t afford to let his guard down….ever. (With the exception of maybe on the Slave I)

--Boba Fett

good point and well said

―Peter Griffin

Thank you.

--Boba Fett

See, this is where there is going to be a signifigant conflict between classic and Traviss Fett...with the old iteriation, we find a focused machine, displaying no emotion in any aspect of his life that we're privy to, dedicated and defined by his purpose in life, while rejecting that which makes him human as to become stronger.  Traviss Fett is essentially rejecting that entirely, and creating a new character.  Basically, he appears to be reaccepting his humanity, which is a conflict because Traviss assumes that he had that all along, and the character she presents is an old warrior reminiscing about his past and contemplating the future, further, displaying attributes that classic Fett never held, ("righteous" indignation towards a comment and replying with an insult, for example).

-Captian Murphy