Topic: Heath Ledger's Award Nominations

Tonight is the Golden Globes, in which Heath Ledger is nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of the Joker. Am I the only one who hopes he wins this...and maybe even an Oscar?

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
                              -Optimus Prime

2 (edited by Miba Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:22 pm)

Re: Heath Ledger's Award Nominations

The only reason he'd win is cause he killed himself. Great reason to give him an award. What does that teach kids? That doing drugs makes you popular?

Reality doesn't care if you believe in it.
[url]http://www.townparkradio.com[/url] - Video Game Remix Music

That's also the only award he can win for The Dark Knight.

Sadly, because he was the real star of Dark Knight. And Miba, he was amazing as Joker. He would have likely gotten it regardless--dying won't affect it much. His performance was amazing as the Joker.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Werda Verd wrote:

Sadly, because he was the real star of Dark Knight. And Miba, he was amazing as Joker. He would have likely gotten it regardless--dying won't affect it much. His performance was amazing as the Joker.

Thank you WV. I am, personally, very happy he won the Golden Globe for his portrayal of the Joker. All the actors gave him a standing ovation, they showed a clip of him as the Joker, and I think that his brother accepted the award for him and gave a little speach in his honor.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
                              -Optimus Prime

Miba wrote:

The only reason he'd win is cause he killed himself. Great reason to give him an award. What does that teach kids? That doing drugs makes you popular?

let me make this perfectly clear.

he did not kill himself.

he did an amazing performance.

don't argue this point further.

you will only anger me more.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

Personally I don't believe he killed himself.  My thoughts is that he was under a lot of stress and taking a few medications anti-depressants and sleeping pills not necessarily prescribed by one doctor.  I think that some of the drugs created a lethal reaction.  Accidental overdose seems the most likely reason.

But his performance was amazing.  Regardless of his death I believe he would have won an award for his performance.

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

Miba wrote:

Take it easy
he didn't kill himself

and yes, his haunting performance would have still been amazing regardless

"Those with the ability to lead, have the responsibility to do so."

9 (edited by Terra Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:10 am)

I totally agree with Werda Verd about Heath Ledger's performance, but maybe, as Kurt Cobain, he wouldn't be such a legend if he didn't die. His lifestyle killed him. Then again, it is what led him to the genius of his last role. Ledger's one who died for his art, willingly or not. The ways that let you express things **far** artistically aren't usually synonyms of a healthy/normal life. In fact, the farthest from normal you are, the more daring/creative you are.

Most artists are either crazy or drug addicts because it takes a really twisted mind, to do something daring/special/shocking/surprising enough nowadays. There's been a lot, and everyone will see so much of extreme things everyday, it really takes *a lot* to shake people with an artistic performance.

I don't even know half of what I am talking about here, because I'll never be that. I don't want to be that. It's a question of how far you can sacrifice your life to get deeper in your emotions. Or just less in control of them. I felt something this intense lately as pain, for months. And artistically it could have led me far, if only I could have been strong enough to shoot it into something, but it was too much, I couldn't stand it. It burnt me.

I just don't have it in me to hurl pain into stuff anymore. It's beyond me. But I admire a lot someone who's got the courage/self-indifference to do that. To just let everything go like that, to the point of risking your health/life.

Of course it's not a good example for kids. You want your kids to have dreams of a healthy successful life. You want them to become famous, but not at any price. Not at the price of losing them. It's very tough to be successful AND healthy in the arts field, as it takes all of you and doesn't bring much, depending on who's feeding back and how convincing you've been to them.

Art is a poison I truly love, but... maybe not enough to let it kill me. It's just common sense. This is where I'll never be a *complete* creative being. Won't sell my soul or go away dying for my stuff, I love my children too much.

Ledger's been a little extreme. I think the kids who admire him so much can still realize that, Miba. Nowadays kids are smart.

Cast iron and treadmills? Oh yes. Still sculpting me to what I really want to be, and I love it. :)

in all his movies i have seen, he has done a good job. good thing i never saw brokeback mountain, nor intend to.