Re: Why do people think Star Wars is dead?

I haven't seen anyone who said that,but I've definetely seen people saying Star Wars sucks and that it's very childish.They don't have a clue.:P

"Your passions give you strength, and through strength you gain power. You have seen it, you feel it. You must break your chains."

Maltese Kentaiba wrote:
wikipedia wrote:

At least one Universal Life Church congregation and two real independent churches based on the Jedi religion exist. In 2003 Jedi Sanctuary was chartered by the Universal Life Church.[2] In 2005 Temple Of The Jedi Order was incorporated as a Texas non-profit religious corporation. The Temple's ministers may legally conduct marriages in the United States. [3][4] In 2007 brothers Barney Jones and Daniel Jones set up a 30-member Jedi church in Holyhead, Anglesey, based on improving life using the Jedi principles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

So, it's not a major religion but...y'know...

LMAO, HOLY ****, LMAO
i cant belive people are doing this... lol
omfg, lmao
this is why SW fans are called nerds... lmao

BFFC-Draco wrote:
revan07 wrote:

, it is still one of the most popular franchises of all time.

It was popular, not so much any more.

SW will definatally die before nearly any religion.

All the new SW stuff sucks, I hope it dies soon.

I agree. Heck I cansay that I was around for 3 of the 6 StarWars movvies and now a 4th! SatrWars is like rock, it will live on in our hearts, in both those who where around when it was made fomous, and to those who found instrest when it was already out.

in the words of Brain Johnsaon- Rock 'n Roll ain't Gonna die"

And in the words of Calvin - StarWars ain't GONNA DIE!

I don't think Star Wars is dead. But I think people say it is dead because the main Six movies are done. neutral

" Everyone dies, but since nobody's paid me to kill you...sleep well."
     -Boba Fett-

I love both trilogies bye the way.

And though the six films are done there is Force Unleashed, hundreds of books.

"My luck ranges from barely tolerable to cataclysmic"

I know! And no matter how uhhh "not good" they were they still do have 3 animated things. smile

" Everyone dies, but since nobody's paid me to kill you...sleep well."
     -Boba Fett-

32 (edited by Humorbot5 Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:25 pm)

It died for me when I realised they'd do anything to squeeze another buck from the already penniless fan.
I might start reading the New Jedi Order series again though. Seems like a good idea for some yuks.

Last thing I read that was Star Wars was the second Bane book. Pretty good, not nearly as good as the first.

Disciple Sift Through Lies; Few Grains Of Truth Be Known...

Yes it's sad if not pathetic that they would do that. They had a good thing going for a long there.

A man's worst enemy can't wish on him what he can think up himself. Yiddish saying

Some b******s teas me sometimes at school because I like Star Wars, so that makes me feel it is, even if it's not. So I'm trying to hide it (please don't say that's stupid, I already know that). But I think most of them who say "suck your Star Wars, no-one likes it anymore" haven't even seen the movies. Or then they just don't understand what are good films.

And they shall remember, that George Lucas sold an animation studio, which has later made many preferred animations called Toy Story, Bug's life, Toy Story 2, Cars, Ratatouille etc.

[color=red]Fatality![/color]

Fox, it's ok. Just think, what do they like? Is it something that'll still be going strong in 30+ years? Probably not. Who cares what they like? SW is far superior, and those other kids don't matter. Just be yourself and don't let them turn you away from something as great as SW is. You'll be happier in the long run for it. smile

Reality doesn't care if you believe in it.
[url]http://www.townparkradio.com[/url] - Video Game Remix Music

Thanks Miba! smile
I got some new reasons to say Star Wars is not dead. Firstly, I saw some younger kids playing Star Wars on a street and secondly, I heard how younger kids talked about Star Wars. big_smile
Those kids are our only hope!
"No, there.... is...... another......" tongue

[color=red]Fatality![/color]

37 (edited by tachyonblade Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:44 am)

I remember talking with a comic nook store clerk, kind of like the comic book guy on the Simpsons, about how no one cared about Sw. This was back in about 1987. He was telling me that because of the space shuttle and the growth in personal computers and advanced technology in general that people were not as impressed with sci-fi as they used to be. He had it in his mind that SW was a dead deal. Something from another time. Well, here we are now with the prequels and tons of SW merchandise, SW conventions (Celebrations). Fan clubs like this one as well as many others. New novels, comic books and toys and it's  22 years later. I think the fans will keep SW alive forever. There may not be major productions, films, TV etc. but the fan base will stay loyal and that will generate a community and a demand. Whenever there is a demand for something someone will fill it. So on the positive side , as long as there is money to be made SW will continue. Now, as for the quality of the productions...well that's a different story.

"D'oh!"
[url=http://www.bobafettfanclub.com/multimedia/galleries/thumbnails.php?album=lastupby&uid=1624]My Fan Art[/url]

Tachyon, that's exactly what I'm worried about. The quality. I'm afraid the bad quality will start pushing people away.

Reality doesn't care if you believe in it.
[url]http://www.townparkradio.com[/url] - Video Game Remix Music

but then you have to show them the good quality that is there, so that they don't have an extremely biased view.

40 (edited by tachyonblade Sunday, February 8, 2009 1:48 am)

The quality of the thing is central to the issue. The most difficult thing for me to get my head around is that with advances in technology and all that we should have learned from the past some of the sci-fi films, TV shows, and especially animation is of a lower quality than a lot of what was produced in the 70s and 80s! It should be easier to make high quality entertainment not harder. and less expensive. Instead, it costs more to produce crap!
Again, on the positive side, there will always be people like us. There were the zillions of letter writers who kept Star Trek alive, there again, with varying quality, but nevertheless they kept it alive.

Just think about how long this fan club has been kicking and if the traffic is any indication I think we will all be talking about SW and seeing new SW stuff for a long time to come.  I really hope so anyway.

It took me a reeeeeealy long time to get into the novels but I was so in need of a new SW fix that I picked up the Bounty Hunter Wars series.  Now I am well on my way to reading all of the novels.
I Think Fett_II is right. the important thing is to highlight the quality work that is out there.

If a may though, I know I am going to get a lot of crap for this....I love the holiday special...Wookie Life Day is on my birthday November 17th!  and man, the animated sequence kicked ***!:)

Also....
If you think about Star Trek and how long it has been kicking after only two seasons back in 1968, I think it was, here we are at the tender age of 32. I think we have many more years to go and as new blood, new creators, new artists, new ideas filter in, kind of like what we do here at the BFFC we have many more years to come. And the quality issue, well, that's also in our hands to a certain extent. Supply and demand and all that. I mean, George want's to make as much money as possible and if people are not buying his product he will change it...I hope.

"D'oh!"
[url=http://www.bobafettfanclub.com/multimedia/galleries/thumbnails.php?album=lastupby&uid=1624]My Fan Art[/url]

Almighty George Lucas, We beg you, Smite the non-believers.

Naastar Te Aru'e!!!!!!!!!!

Star Wars is still popular, Clone Wars rates very well on TV I hear.

And Star Wars is timeless. People love it because of its great story and powerful and compelling characters.

"My luck ranges from barely tolerable to cataclysmic"

SW will die at some point.

All of the movies are good, apart from the CW. That's the one that is making it bad. And possibly the episodes.

But SW is still great, and will possibly last for another five or so years.

You're foolish words can never hurt me

44 (edited by tachyonblade Friday, March 20, 2009 9:22 pm)

I have to take exception with you here Masterchief. I am not chalking everything up to age but I was seven when Star Wars was came out in theaters. At that time if you had asked anybody in the world if Star Wars was going to last 32 years they would have laughed. That was a different time and place but Star Wars started something new, a new kind of social/economic phenomenon. SW tied so many different cultural outlets together at once. I mean they produced everything from blankets to shoelaces to tooth brushed to action figures.. And that formula has been applied through the past three decades to a lot of other media TV, films, books, comics etc. Your generation and those a few years older than you as well were not around to see this evolution.  And a really big element that was missing in the 70s and 80s is the internet. Even without the internet SW and Star Trek were able to outlive their original incarnations and to evolve into a discourse that had enveloped the world. Just because we don't see it everyday on the net does not mean that there are not 1000s of people buying novels, figures, dvds...all variety of SW merchandise. People, like myself, watch SW on average twice a month. I only watch the first three films with that amount of regularity. Episodes I,II,III are not so big on my list.

I think SW is here to stay and I don't think its popularity will dwindle until people a few years younger than me start to reach their 50s or 60s. And even then there will still be people "rediscovering" the greatness of the films just as one hears a song that has not been on the radio for many years, one that "takes you back." So there is the nostalgia factor as well. That may wear off a bit, again, as people my age get older but there will always be someone who takes a new found interest in vintage works. Every five or so years someone tries to bring back Flash Gordon, there were the new adventures of Johny Quest, which sucked BTW, They made the Phantom into a bad film almost 50 years after the original series. Hollywood and TV producers don't like new ideas. they like proven material. So there is also that force that will keep SW a viable commodity.

It is a really complex topic and I think predicting the end is a wasted effort because there really is no way to measure the end. Here in Japan they produce new Nightmare Before Christmas figures and various other merchandise all the time. I can go to a stationary shop right now and purchase Nighmare notebooks  That movie is old for people in the states but here in Japan it is forever new. Still part of the mainstream popular culture. So there is the spatial aspect to consider as well. Just because something is "dead" in one place dies not mean it is not thriving somewhere else. Another example is how some bands are popular in some countries but completely unknown in others.  I mean this is even true from one coast of the US to the other.

As long as it appeals to someone somewhere we will have SW.

I'll shut up now....

I think that is going to be my new signature. lol

"D'oh!"

It's not dead it's just taking a nap

yeah, when I went to Japan, they surprisingly had SW toys and merchandise in YodoBashi Camera

It was awesome

and, it was in Osaka.

Masterchief wrote:

But SW is still great, and will possibly last for another five or so years.

gonna take a little longer, considering A) the live action tv series will end in about five years or so B) the remakes of the films in 3D will keep it alive as well

48 (edited by Everettj Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:11 pm)

I can't wait for that I hope they do it soon!!! smile:):):)

yeah, I saw that on Newsround, and it says they are!!!!!! big_smile

I dunno, that rumours been around for years. When theres an official announcement about it, then I'll belive it.

And Star Wars is definitly not dead. A dead franchise would not spawn six sequels, four cartoons, quite a few video games, and a continuous line of action figures. Not to mention clothes, other toys, major conventions, and a massive worldwide fanbase.

Half Dragon, half human, 100% Fett!