Re: Do you go to church?

The Bible is what you believe. wink

calvinanglin@gmail.com

577 (edited by Karson Fett Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:32 pm)

" If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep your's also. But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me." ~~~St. John 15:18-21

calvinanglin@gmail.com

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ"~~~Romans 5:1

calvinanglin@gmail.com

Fettmatic wrote:

Agreed, I think it's something people should study for themselves and form their own views of rather than being told what to believe

Karson Fett wrote:

The Bible is what you believe. wink

Nice contradiction there.

What do you mean

calvinanglin@gmail.com

That you just old them what to believe after he said not to be forced but to choose in what you belive

[color=green]Denmark! Your it![/color]

Everyday in society we are told what to believe. If you are not told what to believe then you end up falling of some of this politically correct mess, while what you should believe, and is always morally right is the Bible. But the Bible steps on yalls toes and yall don't like it. Heck nobody like to be told they are wrong.

You have always been told what to believe buddy, you just have realized it.

calvinanglin@gmail.com

Karson Fett wrote:

Everyday in society we are told what to believe.

Karson Fett wrote:

what you should believe, and is always morally right is the Bible.

Contradictions are gewd!

Thats why im an Atheist cause here are to many things to believe that they all seem impossible. And no the bible isnt morally right it teaches you to fear your creator and that everybody else is wrong.

[color=green]Denmark! Your it![/color]

CapitlPC wrote:

Thats why im an Atheist cause here are to many things to believe that they all seem impossible. And no the bible isnt morally right it teaches you to fear your creator and that everybody else is wrong.

every religion is like that.

CapitlPC wrote:

People have a misconception about what "fear God" means.  It does not mean that you should be scared of Him, it means you should respect Him.  One of the meanings of "fear" is to revere, or to hold in awe.  A lot of people, when interpreting the Bible, forget that words have more than one meaning and they often choose the more familiar meaning.  It is up to every Christian and questioning soul to seek the meaning that the original writers intended.

And somebody has to be wrong...  :-)

CapitlPC wrote:

So the book that says, You shouldn't kill, You shouldn't steal, you shouldn't lie, you shouldn't cheat on your wife, you should obey your countries laws, isn't morally right...

calvinanglin@gmail.com

Fett_II wrote:
Karson Fett wrote:

Everyday in society we are told what to believe.

Karson Fett wrote:

what you should believe, and is always morally right is the Bible.

Contradictions are gewd!

It seems that you like to leave out parts of my post in your Quote, interesting...

calvinanglin@gmail.com

Wouldn't make a shred of a difference, you still contradicted yourself.

so?

calvinanglin@gmail.com

Karson Fett wrote:
CapitlPC wrote:

So the book that says, You shouldn't kill, You shouldn't steal, you shouldn't lie, you shouldn't cheat on your wife, you should obey your countries laws, isn't morally right...

It also condones slavery, that's why you shouldn't just follow everything it says, you have to make your own judgement calls

592 (edited by Ralin Drakus Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:49 am)

Fettmatic wrote:

It also condones slavery, that's why you shouldn't just follow everything it says, you have to make your own judgement calls

Quote what passage you're referencing there please; cause I got no clue where you're getting that from.  Slavery was common during that time, but the only reference that comes to mind off the top of my head is how God sends Moses to FREE his chosen people, who are enslaved by Egypt.

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Check Leviticus 25 44-46, there are other passages too I could find if you want. I understand it was common and it fit in back then but that's why I'm saying a literalist interpretation of the bible isn't the best way to look at it

Its funny how you leave out the the writing around it. Back then slavery was okay. And frankly slavery isn't as bad as it is blow up to be.

calvinanglin@gmail.com

Karson Fett wrote:

And frankly slavery isn't as bad as it is blow up to be.

Except it is. Any part of owning another human being is repulsive sir

"Those with the ability to lead, have the responsibility to do so."

The New Testament says if you are called a slave you should remain a slave but if you can get free you should take it, and if you are called a free man you should stay a free man. (1 Cor 7:21) It also says that slaves and free men who choose Christ are all one in Christ.  And let's not forget Onesimus, the servant of Philemon, who was sent back by Paul as 'more than just a servant'.

In any case, the Israelites had slaves, and they were slaves themselves, and there a lot of rules concerning slaves. The King James calls them servants or bondsmen, and in a way we are all in bondage to some other thing, whether it be sin, money, work...

But which is worse, being a slave with no pay but a good owner, or a paid servant with a crappy abusive slavemongering boss?

I don't think slavery as such is wrong or immoral, I think it's more about how you treat your slaves/servants/maids/employees that really counts.

This is becoming the "Is Slavery OK?" thread..

I agree with Fettmatic in that you cannot take a literalist approach to the Bible.  It's primary form of teaching, from my point of interpretation, is through the use of parables and examples rather then literal rules.  There are exceptions to this, especially in the Old Testament, but as a whole the accounts of the Bible are meant to be examples to us and to prepare us for the future.

As for the slavery thing, is it possible to be a good, fair, and rightous master to a slave?  Of course, and there were many of them over history.  Does that make slavery any less morally wrong?  Absolutely not.  We as human beings should not have the power to own another person.  Bondsmen, indentured servents, and prison type labor are more like sub-fields of slavery and are a little bit different, as those situations are the direct result of the person's own actions.  The principal behind slavery however is wrong and morally corupt at its core.  It allows a person to strip away another person's God given right to self determination.  No one should be allowed that amount of power, at least outside of the criminal justice system *that's why judges and the juditial system need to be held to the highest standards.  To protect society, they Do have that right to take away your every right and freedom.*

That's my take on it.  And with that off my chest we should probably get back on topic

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

I'm not sure why we have this topic since this is a Boba Fett Fan Club and the topic has nothing to do with that, but if it is going to be about slavery or constantly off topic there's no reason for it at all.

"Those with the ability to lead, have the responsibility to do so."

Honestly I had to go back to the top of the last page before finding a post that WAS totally on topic with the thread's title... 

The thread has been pretty civil considering the conversations though; props to our members.  I leave it to Aaron; this is the fans section, but it's a hot button topic... could go either way.

BFFC therealmccoy wrote:

I'm not sure why we have this topic since this is a Boba Fett Fan Club and the topic has nothing to do with that, but if it is going to be about slavery or constantly off topic there's no reason for it at all.

Sir, with all due respect, I have been through this already. I have repeatedly been shown a rule that has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is also in the Fans section of the forums which means we can talk about anything as long as it isn't against the rules. But if I have to go through this again so be it. Also, again with all due respect, sir, I would like to say that this thread is about the christian religion honestly, questions and comments about Christianity go here, anything about the Bible goes here. Thats the hole reason why I created this thread.

calvinanglin@gmail.com