Re: Do you go to church?

Look, all I am saying is that it shouldn't matter how old the earth is, we should follow God regardless of the earths age

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

Here is something I found: http://geeks4christ.net/

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

Fett_II wrote:

actually, miracles are real, that's how magnets work.

****in' Magnets!!

also to answer the topicI rarely go to church anymore unless it's for some kind of special ceremony (wedding, baptism etc.)

Re: Do you go to church?

Why?

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

Just not something I feel is necessary as long as I maintain my values and try to be a good person all around

Re: Do you go to church?

The Bible says that Works with out Faith are dead. Do you know Jesus as your savior

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

Just because you doesn't regularly go to church doesn't mean he doesn't have faith...  And it's also not for us to judge regardless.  I have personally only attended one church service in my entire life, not counting the sermons I've listened to from my paster on TV; yet I consider myself Christian and a believer.

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Do you go to church?

Again, you are not really a Christian until you except Jesus into your heart.

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

but you don't have to go to church every sunday for that. the purpose of the bible is to teach people to help others before they help themselves, to be as selfless as possible. that's also a part of the Jedi code.

Re: Do you go to church?

I never said anything about having to go to church every sunday, its just better if you do.

Yes The Jedi Code is similar to the teaching of Jesus but it isn't.

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

actually going to church is completely unnecessary, but if it makes people feel better, there's no need to stop them.

Re: Do you go to church?

Its really better to have christian company at least once a weak

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

And yet again, church isn't the only place you can experience that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything against going to church, but you're making it sound like this is the ONLY place you can find your faith, accept Christ as your savior, or even enjoy the company of fellow believers. 

If church is the only place you have been able to find these things, more power to you.  However, you can't make a blanket statement that everyone must go to church to find fellow Christians or salvation; it's just not true.  On top of that, I'd rather Never go to church and believe as I have been taught by my family and my first paster then blindly run to the nearest chruch if it doesn't practice the interpretations of the bible that I believe in.  There's a lot of phony churches out there that only care about filling their donation boxes and passing on fear to keep people in their pews, and you have to be careful. 

Find that one good chruch, stick with it and support it.  Until you find it, keep Christ in your heart, know that he is our savior, live your life rightously, and sincerely asking for his forgiveness when you falter.

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Do you go to church?

Ralin Drakus wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything against going to church, but you're making it sound like this is the ONLY place you can find your faith, accept Christ as your savior, or even enjoy the company of fellow believers.

I never said this once.

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

no you didn't. what ralin and i are trying to say is that church is not an essential part of the christian way.

Re: Do you go to church?

I agree but its best to go.

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

Karson Fett wrote:

I agree but its best to go.

I disagree. I think that most churches place too much emphasis on the traditions & rituals rather making an actual connection with God. I'm sure that works for some people, but I find it very counter-productive.

take it easy baby take it as it comes

568 (edited by Ralin Drakus Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:41 am)

Re: Do you go to church?

BFFC-Draco wrote:
Karson Fett wrote:

I agree but its best to go.

I disagree. I think that most churches place too much emphasis on the traditions & rituals rather making an actual connection with God. I'm sure that works for some people, but I find it very counter-productive.

Wow, not only am I back, but DRAKO IS BACK!!!  Suc'uy ner vod!  Good to have you back from the Unknown Regions   big_smile

And on topic, I totally agree.  That is the exact reason I have been very causious about joining a church.  If they're not reading and teaching from the Word, and just singing songs and preaching about current events and never quite have the time to get more then a verse or two into the Bible, then it's not an organization I need associate myself with.

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Do you go to church?

wow draco is back... hallelujah lol

Re: Do you go to church?

Why thank ya both.

take it easy baby take it as it comes

Re: Do you go to church?

Draco, sir, its good to have you back.

However, I disagree with you one that statement.

While what you say is true for some churches, it isn't true for all. Only churches that have lost sight of their true purpose are like that. Church is suppose to be a safe haven from the cruel world and a center of worship of God.

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

Thanks.

I'm not saying that churches ignore or belittle their actual purpose, i just think that they add on so much extra things that it distracts from connecting with God; not that they actually try to withhold a connection, just that the 'extras' often unintentionally take away from that.

On the other hand, all of the hyms and such probably do help some people in that way.

On a semi-related note, I don't really understand why a lot of churches have extremely fancy, & certainly expensive, decorations that do nothing except to look cool, when the money that paid for them could have gone to a charity, which I would imagine would be what Jesus would have wanted.

take it easy baby take it as it comes

Re: Do you go to church?

Let me just say that I am a reborn Christian and I used to love church until I realized some things about the church as a whole that was somewhat...not entirely Biblical.  I officially split when my pastor admitted that they don't go through enough trouble with Bible study.  Since then I've refused to be a part of any denomination whatsoever because of certain issues.

But, going to church doesn't make you a Christian, and neither does blindingly following your pastor.  There's only one non-denominational church in my town and I've been deliberating whether or not I should go.

And I agree with Draco about the rituals and stuff in churches.  In my old church, the service lasts for 90 minutes, 45 of which goes to announcements, prayer and praise and worship.  In the other 45, the pastor reads a verse or two or five and then base his entire month's sermons on those verses, without actually telling us what the Bible really means.

IMO, the church should be there to tell all people the truth, and reach out to those who don't know Christ, instead of telling me how I can reach financial and personal success by applying Biblical principles to my wallet.

Re: Do you go to church?

BFFC-Draco wrote:

On a semi-related note, I don't really understand why a lot of churches have extremely fancy, & certainly expensive, decorations that do nothing except to look cool, when the money that paid for them could have gone to a charity, which I would imagine would be what Jesus would have wanted.

I know what you mean. I saw a like a 100ft cross in Tennessee. It make you wonder how much money they spent o it that they could have put into missions.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSue6aKrGTcZ-BGxUm3C0EWhrlBA2dp2-ECpMtCA-O-3TutnCM&t=1&usg=__lA_Dp_qlGUDpEKRO3F-z-xTnjXM=

The church that I go to isn't extremely large:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG6nhsi8sKMoZIeKce8LrDc7yuamNhaW3caqM8cGItzbk6bSg&t=1&usg=__dj_UI_If0EHO6hGTbpRcdCVCFxM=

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Do you go to church?

Prodster wrote:

Let me just say that I am a reborn Christian and I used to love church until I realized some things about the church as a whole that was somewhat...not entirely Biblical.  I officially split when my pastor admitted that they don't go through enough trouble with Bible study.  Since then I've refused to be a part of any denomination whatsoever because of certain issues.

But, going to church doesn't make you a Christian, and neither does blindingly following your pastor.  There's only one non-denominational church in my town and I've been deliberating whether or not I should go.

And I agree with Draco about the rituals and stuff in churches.  In my old church, the service lasts for 90 minutes, 45 of which goes to announcements, prayer and praise and worship.  In the other 45, the pastor reads a verse or two or five and then base his entire month's sermons on those verses, without actually telling us what the Bible really means.

IMO, the church should be there to tell all people the truth, and reach out to those who don't know Christ, instead of telling me how I can reach financial and personal success by applying Biblical principles to my wallet.

Agreed, I think it's something people should study for themselves and form their own views of rather than being told what to believe