Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

What honor is there in being a Fett? It is not a birth rite but a name. One that was given its reputation by the likes of Jango, that Boba merely made his own.

Jango has an importaint legacy. Those clones would not be the skilled soldiers, ARC's etc with out his genetics or knowledge. Jango was very intrumental in the development process, down to training ARC's himself, and hand selecting the Mando's that would train his elte Commando squads. To even be selected as the clone template Jango displayed impressive feats on the battle field, and survived to be chosen for the job.

I know some question his ethics., but as he said himself "Im just a simple man trying to get by in the universe" ( or something to that effect.... its early and im at work). He did many things that we question that mostly came down to an act of survial in Jango's perspective.  So I tend to excuse more.

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

327 (edited by Darth Maul Clone Friday, August 8, 2008 1:15 pm)

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Si Titran wrote:

What honor is there in being a Fett? It is not a birth rite but a name. One that was given its reputation by the likes of Jango, that Boba merely made his own.

Jango has an importaint legacy. Those clones would not be the skilled soldiers, ARC's etc with out his genetics or knowledge. Jango was very intrumental in the development process, down to training ARC's himself, and hand selecting the Mando's that would train his elte Commando squads. To even be selected as the clone template Jango displayed impressive feats on the battle field, and survived to be chosen for the job.

I know some question his ethics., but as he said himself "Im just a simple man trying to get by in the universe" ( or something to that effect.... its early and im at work). He did many things that we question that mostly came down to an act of survial in Jango's perspective.  So I tend to excuse more.

Yes very true Si.He has an important legacy.And a very tough life if you ask me.So I don't think that a few drawbacks make Jango a bad character.And imagine training an entire army.That surely needs a lot of skill.And patience. tongue

Fear! Fear attracts the fearful...fear is my ally.

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

I say yes, Jango is awesome. I haven't read the Open Seasons book yet but I know his backstory and so I say he is indeed good enough.Though from what is seen in AOTC it does make him seem as if hes not as good as the legacy would have you to believe. As far as his legacy goes, he learned from and modeled himself after Jaster Mereel, and then put his own spin on things. Just as Boba did with what he learned from Jango.

Home is where the armor is.

329 (edited by ee-3 Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:26 pm)

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

I don't love Jango (not to say I don't like him) 'cause if you ask anyone besides Boba fans who was better they'd say Jango 'cause Lucas gave him much, much, much better action scenes. O.K. maybe Jango is pretty cool and besides he did show what B. looks like. I guess it's just Georges fault. He hates B!!

" Everyone dies, but since nobody's paid me to kill you...sleep well."
     -Boba Fett-

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Jango is alright but he is too...i dont wanna say flashy but he's too flashy

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - Family is more than bloodline

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Johan Kordav wrote:

Jango is alright but he is too...i dont wanna say flashy but he's too flashy

That would be a major difference between Boba and Jango. However, both of them are worthy to be a Fett.

A man's worst enemy can't wish on him what he can think up himself. Yiddish saying

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Considering both of them have the benefit of plot assistance, of course tongue

Honestly, their circumstances define their characters.  While Boba's beter in my opinion, simply due to his survival nature, Jango's no slouch.  He's killed plenty of Jedi, earned the status of best bounty hunter in the galaxy by his own abilities.  He's plenty good, but unlike Boba, he went with more of a fancy flair to whatever he did.  Boba just got things done, Jango got things done with style.  And that fancy-flair-tendency is what got him in the end....along with plot device and bad writing....

Due to maintenance problems, the light at the end of the tunnel will not be in operation today.  Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Plot device and bad writing will bring a character down every time.

A man's worst enemy can't wish on him what he can think up himself. Yiddish saying

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

sad but true

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - Family is more than bloodline

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

I don't understand this topic; Fett is a name, not a medal of honor and bravery. And even if it would be, I think Jango would be worthy enough, he made a lot of great things.

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

The Fett clan is something you are born into, you don't earn it. But Jango did earn respect.

calvinanglin@gmail.com

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

I dont mean to be rude, but in the mandalorian culture you dont have to be born into a clan to become part of it! Rep coms, Null arcs, Kal Skerata himself, all adopted into a clan. Even Jango was taken in by Jaster Mereel. Its not so much a clan or group but a family.

Church... when I die I want you to have my orange juice!

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Well, a Clan usually is a family unit of some sort, but you are right - the Mandalorians commonly adopted outsiders into their families/clans.  However, the point of this thread I think is to debate whether or not Lucas did a good enough job to make Jango worth of the movie legacy of the Fett line.  Personally, I don't think EITHER live up to the high standards we think a Fett should be.  Instead, we follow the awesome expanded universe where they rock or make our own fanfics for them, and explain away their movie performances by saying these were the low points in their careers..

Kinda sad, but that's what I do...

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

OK I see. And I totally agree with what you are saying. Both Fetts were killed of in a pretty dumb way. Some may disagree but both could have been something more. Or maybe its better that not much was shown so the books and our minds could make it into something better then a movie could do?

Church... when I die I want you to have my orange juice!

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Boba  Fett dies of old age, I think

calvinanglin@gmail.com

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

My main issue with Jango is George's direction of Tem Morrison in the part. He LOOKS fantastic, just like I think a Mandalore should imo, but 90% of his lines are rushed and just fly out of his mouth and onto the floor, without any real depth or meaning behind them. Fett's don't just blurt anything out for the hell of it, they have a reason for it. Jason Wingreen, who did the voice work for Boba Fett in the OT, had the right idea. If Tem had followed that or even WATCHED it then surely the phenomenal "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe" wouldn't have been so utterly AWFUL.

I took acting classes Tem, they're called pauses.

I'm just a simple man
tryin to make my way in universe

thats GOOD writing, and GREAT character writing at that imo
it is a very RARE thing sometimes in a popcorn movie like the Star Wars saga

Then let's not even get into the fact that Tem had to completely butcher and crap all over Boba's lines in the OT when they over-dubbed them. Our hero no longer has the harsh, scratchy and cunning voice of a 50 year old smoker that is pissed off at Darth Vader, and instead sounds like someone gave Steve Irwin (RIP) a Margarita and stepped on his big toe before they THRUST a script in front of him and said "Here Tem, read this crap as fast as you can."
"Righto then, 'He's no good to be dead!' NEXT."

"Those with the ability to lead, have the responsibility to do so."

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Dude.................Harsh

Church... when I die I want you to have my orange juice!

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

LOL at least Tem was a better actor than Hayden Christensen, let's face it the acting in the prequels was pretty woeful on most counts. "Sand storms are very, very dangerous" - worst line delivery ever...

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Karson Fett wrote:

Boba  Fett dies of old age, I think

Canonically, he's not dead yet.

Haven't watched AotC in a while, so I can't comment on Tem's performance. His voice acting as Boss was pretty good, though. Not interesting, like say, Sev's, but brief and military. A few lines were more interesting, though.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

There are actually very different levels of canon in Star Wars
George Lucas considers only what is in his movies to be actual canon
everything else he considers a kind of 'parallel universe' (books, comics, games, etc)

"Those with the ability to lead, have the responsibility to do so."

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

BFFC therealmccoy wrote:

There are actually very different levels of canon in Star Wars
George Lucas considers only what is in his movies to be actual canon
everything else he considers a kind of 'parallel universe' (books, comics, games, etc)

I thought he considered Boba surviving the Sarlacc to be Canon.

"I swear by the soul I don't have, I am going to kill you."
―Boba Fett

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Mandalore Hunter wrote:
BFFC therealmccoy wrote:

There are actually very different levels of canon in Star Wars
George Lucas considers only what is in his movies to be actual canon
everything else he considers a kind of 'parallel universe' (books, comics, games, etc)

I thought he considered Boba surviving the Sarlacc to be Canon.

I don't have a quote to reference, but I remember Lucas saying that "they brought him back later in the books and comics so I guess he survived"

"Those with the ability to lead, have the responsibility to do so."

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

Awesome! So Boba didn't die then! big_smile

[color=red]Fatality![/color]

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

No ,Boba would never die such a wimpy death!

A man's worst enemy can't wish on him what he can think up himself. Yiddish saying

Re: Jango: Worthy to be a Fett?

BFFC therealmccoy wrote:

My main issue with Jango is George's direction of Tem Morrison in the part. He LOOKS fantastic, just like I think a Mandalore should imo, but 90% of his lines are rushed and just fly out of his mouth and onto the floor, without any real depth or meaning behind them. Fett's don't just blurt anything out for the hell of it, they have a reason for it. Jason Wingreen, who did the voice work for Boba Fett in the OT, had the right idea. If Tem had followed that or even WATCHED it then surely the phenomenal "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe" wouldn't have been so utterly AWFUL.

I took acting classes Tem, they're called pauses.

I'm just a simple man
tryin to make my way in universe

thats GOOD writing, and GREAT character writing at that imo
it is a very RARE thing sometimes in a popcorn movie like the Star Wars saga

Then let's not even get into the fact that Tem had to completely butcher and crap all over Boba's lines in the OT when they over-dubbed them. Our hero no longer has the harsh, scratchy and cunning voice of a 50 year old smoker that is pissed off at Darth Vader, and instead sounds like someone gave Steve Irwin (RIP) a Margarita and stepped on his big toe before they THRUST a script in front of him and said "Here Tem, read this crap as fast as you can."
"Righto then, 'He's no good to be dead!' NEXT."

Yeah, I agree.
He should sound like Clint Eastwood when he's pissed off, not like "Bounty Hunting is bonza!"

Disciple Sift Through Lies; Few Grains Of Truth Be Known...