Topic: Political Attitude Overall

There might be a topic already on gun control, but I'm interested to know what people think of weapons in general.

For example, in the state of New York it's illegal to own nunchaku.
Ironic in that it was invented during a time where the ownership of weapons such as swords was outlawed.
It's two pieces of wood connected together by a chain.
Although they can produce over 1500 pounds of force per square inch. You have to be able to use one, otherwise you're likely to hurt yourself and be the one knocked down.

They're also illegal in California where concealed carry is perfectly legal. Is that fair?

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Re: Political Attitude Overall

I think that's slightly ridiculous.  If they followed the kind of logic I am guessing when making the law, then they might as well outlaw baseball bats.  With proper training the hands could be just as deadly as a pair of nun-chucks.  Is there a particular reason that nunchucks are outlawed?  This goes back to the whole "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" kind of argument.

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

Re: Political Attitude Overall

I've never found evidence to suggest they had an educated reason. They're just illegal. It's beyond ridiculous

In the end, it goes back to the idea that if you ban something. People will follow the law and do the right thing. Or they're too stupid to understand the consequences of their actions.
Prohibition. They just up and decided to give people their alcohol back.
Gun Control zones create more violence.
Narcotics. Nobody smokes illegally anymore (har, har).
Warning labels on Chainsaws warning you not to try to stop the blade with your hands or genitals.

That's a little off track but it's along the same lines.

Going back to the original topic.
The United States Government is going down a road I'd rather not drive down.
As the historians have pointed out, if you want to totally conquer a people. Take aware their method of defense.
Banning guns could easily ban hunting. And animal populations would be out of control. Truth be told it helps the evironment.

That's where I stand for weapons. If you take in hand the idea that people will always be in need to defend themselves from nature and themselves.

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Re: Political Attitude Overall

I agree.  Look at Canada for example.  Our violent crime rate is double than the US.  The gun laws here did not prevent criminals from geting guns but it took guns away from the wrong people.

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

Re: Political Attitude Overall

Criminals don't care, otherwise they wouldn't be criminals.

And what's the worst they can recieve?
In the US it's state law presiding over most cases so it really depends on where you are but quite a few states refuse to give the death penalty. Our jails are filling up and there's still no slow down of crime.

I don't understand how people can believe that people will follow the rules if there's no consequence.
If I brandish my weapon, they'll probably have one is a good reason not to even do it in the first place,

It's said that murder is wrong. It is. But execution is different than murder, as it is a reaction to wrongdoing.
Religious people might want to be wary of the spoiler coming up:
-The higher up/s have no problem in rightful execution-

So, instead of taking nunchucks away from people...we could start emptying out prisons....

Y'know, I'm changing the title of this topic. Since it's evolved from its humble opener.
"Political attitude overall" sounds better.

A way to cover the important issues in need of discussion.
Energy, war, ideas.

Things going on right now.

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Re: Political Attitude Overall

That was well spoken, i don't even know how to start...

Canadates claim to be for change. But I refuse to believe that they will actually change anything. Because when it comes down to it, they refuse to give up their power or popularity. Which they gain from.... MONEY! And they wont change things because the people donating MONEY ( THE BIG MONEY) don't want certain things to change. They even push the government to pass bills for their interests, despite what the populace wants their representatives to. The more things change the more things stay the same.

And why is it ok for Senators to wear out their welcome and usefulness. Some are just too old to do the job any more. ( for example try searching for NJ Sentator Lautenberg.......)

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

Re: Political Attitude Overall

I live in Montana, so... Like everyone owns a gun here. The two biggest crimes we have in the entire county are drunk driving and drugs. I think there was a murder a while back, it was on the front page of the paper. If everyone has a gun (or other weapon) then no one will want to do anything to anyone. And even if no one had weapons everyone still has hands and feet.

The above was another early morning post so sorry if it's all garbled and rambly.

Reality doesn't care if you believe in it.
[url]http://www.townparkradio.com[/url] - Video Game Remix Music

Re: Political Attitude Overall

blame the mafia and mobs for getting nunchaku banned. they used them all the time in their fights during the roaring 20s and 30s.

Re: Political Attitude Overall

Fett_II wrote:

blame the mafia and mobs for getting nunchaku banned. they used them all the time in their fights during the roaring 20s and 30s.

Somehow, I'm skeptical. But curious.

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Re: Political Attitude Overall

They ARE versatile weapons....so I could see that. I wouldn't know.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Re: Political Attitude Overall

Versatile after a long time. Just practicing with my wood ones I get sore, it's not a very easy trick to master.

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Re: Political Attitude Overall

Gun control really bothers me. It doesn't take guns aw ay from criminal, but the lawabiding people will have no defense against them. In Switzerland, it is illegal not to own a gun, and they have very little crime.

Anyways, I don't see why nunchucks should be banned.

take it easy baby take it as it comes

13 (edited by True Warrior Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:45 pm)

Re: Political Attitude Overall

Weapons in general???

hmm.........

well I think they're ok for sport...........but overall I hate guns.
They do nothing but cause more problems between the human race.
The invention of the gun is what I call a genocidal invention.
Since stupid poeple carry weapons on the street for dumb reasons, others have them to protect themselves from those who use them incorrectly and wrong..........or from those who are too dangerous.

its a neverending cycle of humans not trusting each other. Gun distance us away from each other, and I dont mean to sound cheesy but, we should learn how to come together and act as one nation of a family.

The political view on guns from the average politician is irrelavent to trying to find the solution.

TW

{MW} [color=#FF0000]"Death and Destruction to our Enemies!"[/color]
[color=blue]Listen to My Rap Songs!![/color] [url=http://www.myspace.com/dinonkeys]www.myspace.com/dinonkeys[/url]

14 (edited by Mandal_ShadowWarrior Wednesday, October 8, 2008 6:21 pm)

Re: Political Attitude Overall

but overall I hate guns

Hate the people who use them, not the guns themselves.

Guns are a tool, and just like any tool they can be used incorrectly. Its not the guns that are the problem, its the people who use them.

Overall I do think that if i knew that the person living next door, had a gun and could come over anytime he wanted kick down the door and shoot me, would kind of freak me out. But hey if it keeps down crime...Sacrifice of self-comfort sometimes need to be made.

Plus i would have my own gun tongue

[i]"Sir, Finishing this Cake."[/i]

Re: Political Attitude Overall

The gun is not the worst invention, not the reason we have crime and violence I don't believe.

It' an evolution of a system that had been going on for hundreds of thousands of years. The concept of dominion. Wars, weapons, and violence are integral in every facet of human life.
I say had because the current attitude of conflict has changed considerably, economics has paved the way to startling peace in comparison to the past. Albiet it's created whole new problems, and will especially when the non-renewable energy sources are below the point of desired-quantity, and then afterwards when a viable renewable energy source is found.

Even if we took all the bombs away, all the guns, and knives and whatever away. Someone would create them again, and do it because they could.

The plus to guns is that they help nature, at least in the United States. Responsible (that's a pretty big stretch these days) hunters contribute money to protecting wildlife everytime they purchase equipment and licenses. Hunting keeps animal populations down and feeds people. But they're always that one deviant who decides to screw it up for the rest of us.
I agree, they're a tool. And like anything can be sharpened and bent and molded to suit the needs as a weapon.

I just don't believe it's natural for people to get along. The idea of a close knit group of individuals in nature doesn't exist. Ants aren't individuals for example. All animals compete with one another and strive to one up the other.
It's amazing we can even think about animal rights, or humanitarianism.
Animal rights...that's a subject I might touch later.

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

16 (edited by Lord Revan Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:15 pm)

Re: Political Attitude Overall

Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:

but overall I hate guns

Hate the people who use them, not the guns themselves.

Guns are a tool, and just like any tool they can be used incorrectly. Its not the guns that are the problem, its the people who use them.

Overall I do think that if i knew that the person living next door, had a gun and could come over anytime he wanted kick down the door and shoot me, would kind of freak me out. But hey if it keeps down crime...Sacrifice of self-comfort sometimes need to be made.

Firstly you're right Mandal, if you think about it, almost ANYTHING can be a deadly weapon.
Does it bother you more that your neighbor could kick the door in and stab you to death with a butter knife? EXACTLY my point. There is nothing wrong with guns or knives, they are simply tools, just as Mandal stated.
Put them in the wrong hands, there's your problem.

"This IS my signature."

Re: Political Attitude Overall

Chainsaw is a tool. But one that has to be used with care and caution. But as a counter argument. What is a gun really intended? At least a chainsaw has the purpose of felling trees etc.

(sorry i feel the need to play devil's advocate.... personal feelings aside)

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

Re: Political Attitude Overall

That's a good point.
I think it boils down to gun powder, that's what a gun's original intent was. And so from firecrackers to firepower.
But as a projectile weapon, it's the bow. An amount of force moving a projectile toward and into a target. Which is a hunting tool, turned into a revolutionary weapon.

Sort of a wide simile, but, not a bad analysis I hope.

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Re: Political Attitude Overall

Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:

Hate the people who use them, not the guns themselves.

Well the poeple who carry guns ARENT the problem............its the guns themselves.

ok lets make an example........

Lets just say a man named Joe buys the first ever made gun. The poeple in his community are aware that Joe has the power to END A LIFE. So they decide to buy themSELVES guns to protect themselves from thier own fear. Now we have an entire community of gun owners. Somewhere along the line, somebody will lash out for whatever reason.............and shoot. This causes an unbalanced community and NOBODY trusts anyone else that owns a gun.
No more trust..............no more community.

This is exactly what has happened in America today....................our country is now unstabble, unbalanced, and nobody trusts anyone else, and the single invention of GUNS created this..........




lets just put it this way............................
No guns..................Massively less killings.

TW

{MW} [color=#FF0000]"Death and Destruction to our Enemies!"[/color]
[color=blue]Listen to My Rap Songs!![/color] [url=http://www.myspace.com/dinonkeys]www.myspace.com/dinonkeys[/url]

Re: Political Attitude Overall

True Warrior wrote:
Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:

Hate the people who use them, not the guns themselves.

Well the poeple who carry guns ARENT the problem............its the guns themselves.

Guns can't kill people by themselves last time I checked. They are inanimate objects. I do see your point, but I still don't understand it because knives are the same way. It's the person holding the weapon, regardless of what it is. They are the ones who make the choice.

"This IS my signature."

Re: Political Attitude Overall

Thats true. Im not saying guns are the cause of all of our problems, all Im saying is that guns and weapons are the start of all the lack of trust. The actions themselves are OUR responsibility.


True Warrior wrote:

Somewhere along the line, somebody will lash out for whatever reason.............and shoot.

think back to what I said. wink

TW

{MW} [color=#FF0000]"Death and Destruction to our Enemies!"[/color]
[color=blue]Listen to My Rap Songs!![/color] [url=http://www.myspace.com/dinonkeys]www.myspace.com/dinonkeys[/url]

Re: Political Attitude Overall

True Warrior wrote:
Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:

Hate the people who use them, not the guns themselves.

Well the people who carry guns aren't the problem............its the guns themselves.

okay lets make an example........

Lets just say a man named Joe buys the first ever made gun. The people in his community are aware that Joe has the power to END A LIFE. So they decide to buy THEMSELVES guns to protect themselves from their own fear. Now we have an entire community of gun owners. Somewhere along the line, somebody will lash out for whatever reason.............and shoot. This causes an unbalanced community and NOBODY trusts anyone else that owns a gun.
No more trust..............no more community.

This is exactly what has happened in America today....................our country is now unstable, unbalanced, and nobody trusts anyone else, and the single invention of GUNS created this..........




lets just put it this way............................
No guns..................Massively less killings.

TW

Nah. It is the people's mentality that is the problem. A guy decides to buy himself a gun, for protection "just in case of that nasty situation ever occurring where it can be put to a good use." It's the mentality of the other people that they believe he might use it on someone else that causes them to buy their own weapons. So it's not the people who own the guns, it's the people who don't own guns.

Re: Political Attitude Overall

True Warrior wrote:

This is exactly what has happened in America today....................our country is now unstabble, unbalanced, and nobody trusts anyone else, and the single invention of GUNS created this..........
TW

Regardless of the fact that there are entire hunting clubs and communities? Conventions and gun shows?

Guns don't create situations like this any more than swords used to. The only difference is that no one carries them around openly anymore. You don't see a man walking down the street with a sword strapped to his back next to the guy with a spear.

If the caveman in the other cave has a spear, you'll probably get one.
If the lady next door has the first electric vacuum you'll probably get one too.
It's called a rat race and it can definantly upset communities. But it can be anything, the fashion industry works this way.
But I'm sorry to say I don't believe guns are the problem. Because of a lack of evidence to suggest it.

For example. Fewer people are killed in random school shootings when the students or staff are allowed to carry guns on campus.

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Re: Political Attitude Overall

Definitely siding with the pro-guns. Our country was created and maintained by "the single invention of guns".

This seems to have turned mostly into a "morality of firearms" debate, but hey, maybe I'll speak a piece.

I've always loved guns; that's not to try to puff out my chest and inflate my biceps, but it's genuinely true. I've found certain ones actually beautiful, and not even in a creepy killer kind of way, they're art as well as tools. Tools can be used for good or bad, which I think has been established, and are not evil or benevolent in and of themselves. As I used as a reference before, men with guns have created the country we have today, and kept it alive for hundreds of years. Armed soldiers have saved millions of lives, and yes at the cost of thousands more, but ideally thousands that would have only done damage to the world.

Until a more deadly weapon is invented the bad guys will always have guns, and the good guys will need them to be able to fight back, that's just how it is. War causes imbalance and mistrust, but that existed millions of years before men even dreamed of guns.

"I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!" - Belkar

Re: Political Attitude Overall

True Warrior wrote:
Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:

Hate the people who use them, not the guns themselves.

Well the poeple who carry guns ARENT the problem............its the guns themselves.

ok lets make an example........

Lets just say a man named Joe buys the first ever made gun. The poeple in his community are aware that Joe has the power to END A LIFE. So they decide to buy themSELVES guns to protect themselves from thier own fear. Now we have an entire community of gun owners. Somewhere along the line, somebody will lash out for whatever reason.............and shoot. This causes an unbalanced community and NOBODY trusts anyone else that owns a gun.
No more trust..............no more community.

This is exactly what has happened in America today....................our country is now unstabble, unbalanced, and nobody trusts anyone else, and the single invention of GUNS created this..........




lets just put it this way............................
No guns..................Massively less killings.

TW

Than can happen with literally any object. So by your theory, every object should be illiegal

If people didn't have guns, they'd kill with bows, without bows, they'd use knives, withought knives, they'd use rocks. This would not make murder go down, but it would make hunting go down. Animal populations would grow too high, which leads to starvation, and the possibility of extinction, plus more car accidents.

You seem to have ignored at least one piece of information that shows a major flaw to your argument; by law, every man in Switzerland must own a gun, and they have an extremely small crime rate. Also, Canada has stricter gun laws than the U.S., and their crime rate is nearly double.

lets put it this way:
More guns... massivly less murder

You can take my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

take it easy baby take it as it comes