Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Fett_II wrote:
GLOPINO wrote:

Because its Halo.

that's not a real reason, i could create a game 10 times better.

No... You can't. And even if you created a game, 10 times better? really? considering most reviews of the game fell between 9.5 and 10 that would mean "your game" would be a 95 to a 100.... on a scale from 1 - 10. Nice try.

Valthonin wrote:
BFFC-Mel wrote:
Werda Verd wrote:

Halo CE had a good story, and many modern games really don't have that, but that started to be more common.

Actually when playing Halo I noticed that it had stolen and awful lot of lines from the Aliens film. Not only that but the soldiers and their Sarge looked almost identical.

Yeah I was going to mention that. Its also like, the EXACT same sarge from Predator. Complete with the little cap. And to counter post WV's post: I honestly dont think Halo revolutionized much of anything. It just took a game like Golden eye 007, kept the mechanics and gameplay and tossed in a few aliens. If you look at Halo, almost nothing in the game hasn't already been done before.

This sums up my opinion pretty well. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ … n/8-Halo-3

First off, don't use somebody else's review of a game to "sum up your opinion" because it makes it look like you took all of your ideas from them, which you sort of did with the "sarge from predator" thing. Plus he never played multiplayer... which is stupid because why buy Halo for the single player? It's like buying milk if you're lactose intollerant.

And to counter-post your counter-post Halo did revolutionize the FPS. Do you really think that they stole things from Golden Eye?!? Yeah, it was a fun game like... a decade ago. Halo is a sci-fi FPS with graphics that overshadowed most games of the time. The controls, multiplayer (especially in halo 2), and the AI were leaps and bounds past ordinary. 007 had infinite streams of enemies who threw themselves at you with their blocky heads while you tried to find your mark with the C-buttons and moved/ looked around with the analog stick. The multiplayer was like fighting a war in the days of muskets. You stopp face to face with your opponent and fired wildly until one of you fell. YES!! I can see the connections to halo now...

I am not a Halo Fanatic as I have not even played the game in quite some time, but I enjoy it when playing with friends or whenever I am bored. Halo 3 is not a "godly" or "perfect" game... but It's good, simple, and fun. And that is how you sell games. I prefer my Unreal Tournament 3 at the moment anyway, much more action.

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.
Hail to the King Baby!!

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Plus he never played multiplayer... which is stupid because why buy Halo for the single player? It's like buying milk if you're lactose intollerant.

He actually said somthing about that: "People have been telling me that the multiplayer excuses it. (The story mode) unfortunately I dont give a flying **** about multiplayer and neither do a lot of people, I dont pay for a game thats only half decent"

((Thats not an exact quote mind you))

[i]"Sir, Finishing this Cake."[/i]

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:
BFFC-Mel wrote:
Mandal_ShadowWarrior wrote:

And Mel when you say you 'played the game' did you play the whole game or did you play a level in the middle of the story and decided you didnt like it? Because somthing very much like that happened to me, and I went on ignoring halo intill close to the release of halo 3 came around...Which i deeply regret.

I started at the beginning, then Jawa jumped in and I watched him play. I must say I've played a fair share of first person shoot 'em ups and Halo's nothing new. I've played Alien vs Predator, which came out a long time before Halo and it's pretty much the same sort of story but a hell of a lot scarier.

I didnt think that AVP threatened the entire universe, and had an bio-enginered armored man killing an alliance of aliens. tongue


Fett_II wrote:
GLOPINO wrote:

Because its Halo.

that's not a real reason, i could create a game 10 times better.

Its alot harder than it looks Fett_II

not really i played the first 2 games and beat it on Legendary out of boredom...

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

He means making a game Fett_II

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

yea i know, what i meant was creating it, like the storyline n stuff.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

With Halo I wasn't meaning that the story was identical to Aliens vs Predator. I was referring to the basics, at least from a Marine's perspective. See I think AVP is a much better game because you can play as either a Marine, Predator or Alien. Allows for a lot more repeat game play.

What I was really meaning is that I don't see Halo as a revolutionary game, not in the genre of first person gaming. That mantle goes to Doom which was the first game of the sort. Now that was end of the world stuff. Earth goes to hell in a handbasket. I'm not keen to play the newest version because it's got some pretty freakin' looking stuff in it.

I just don't think Halo lives up to the hype. It's an okay game to play but I don't think it's anything special. It's got a great basis for novelisation and further expansion on story telling, but purely from a game perspective I don't see anything new. I guess I was expecting more because there's such a following, I was looking for something unique. I just didn't find it.

Maybe online gaming is better but it just looks like another "capture the flag" realm and that was extremely popular when Red Faction came out. At least in that you could destroy walls when you couldn't unlock a door and shoot several dudes with one shot from the rail gun.

I'm not saying that Halo is a bad game, it's just that it doesn't stand out from the crowd as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I've played too many survival horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill to find Halo an "edge of your seat" type game.

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Ok, most likely you are playing one of the new halos, which means it is not revolutionary. This is mainly because almost no sequal is ever revolutionary because it has to play off the basis from the first game(s) or else people will get mad and won't buy it. So if you were looking for revolutionary, you are about 6-7 years too late as Halo 1 was the one for that.

Now as for why the new ones feel like every other game out there. This is not because of a lack of inginuity on Bungie's part, but instead a lack of creativity from everyone else. Almost every other FPS slowly moved into this funk of copying off of Halo or copying off a game that copied off Halo. Health bars disapeared, (even Call of Duty picked that 1 up) online gaming became the same rigamaroll over and over, and somehow most games still can't grasp the best concept about Halo's online system. The party screen. Call of Duty 4 got close, but still lacks the fluidity that Halo 3 has. The ability to change any part of the gametype, map, appearance, boot players, and set pretty much any option without creating a new game is by far one of the best parts of playing Halo online.

Play Gears of War and then try to change the gametype or map while online... you will appreciate Halo immediately.

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.
Hail to the King Baby!!

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Well I'm not really one to play online games, so I have probably missed the point entirely tongue

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

BFFC-Mel wrote:

Well I'm not really one to play online games, so I have probably missed the point entirely tongue

Yes, which is sad really. Not sad on your part, but on the part of the game producers. They went from having a great game all around (Halo) to having a good campaign and a great multiplayer/ onlline game (halo 2). Then they pretty much stripped down the campaign to be able to be run through in a few hours in order to put emphasis on what people were already mostly interested in... the online play. Its all supply and demand. Fortunately I enjoy online play as much as the next guy, so I enjoy Halo.

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.
Hail to the King Baby!!

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

BFFC-Mel wrote:

I must say I've played a fair share of first person shoot 'em ups and Halo's nothing new.

Halo's "nothing new", because most FPSs are roughly copies of Halo, control-wise. Halo CE has a great story, streamlined control system, and seamlessly combines vehicle and on-foot combat. The multiplayer was revolutionary, and Halo 2 defined online FPS play. The play might seem simple to some, but instead of several character traits, no vehicles, and stealth based combat (these things aren't bad, it is just for other games), in Halo it is all based on who can use the given items best (guns, vehicles, etc.). The play is quick and simple, just shoot, grenade, and bunt. That's what makes it good. I guess some people just like the COD4 style of play better, and that's their right to think whatever they want. This is just my opinion.

"Some soldiers say that to reach maximum combat efficiency, they need to be in the zone. Sir; I live in the zone." - RC 1207 'Sev' to RC 1138 'Boss'

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

I agree with Mel, i like Halo and all but i think its a bit over-rated.


Ny idiot enemy think Halo is more popular than Star Wars, despite Star Wars being waaaaay more popular and better, not that many people have heard of Halo.

"My luck ranges from barely tolerable to cataclysmic"

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Are you joking.....most people under 30 have heard of it. It may not be more popular period, but for people older that like 14, it is. I like both, but it's true. Most people these days, older than a certain age, don't like SW much, as a whole.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

revan07 wrote:

I agree with Mel, i like Halo and all but i think its a bit over-rated.


Ny idiot enemy think Halo is more popular than Star Wars, despite Star Wars being waaaaay more popular and better, not that many people have heard of Halo.

not many people have heard of Halo? and yet, it's sold millions of copies, I'm sure nobody knows about it.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Um, my entire school had not heard of Halo until i liked it. And just cause it sold well doesn't mean its super popular. Halo is very popular but thing like Star Wars, LOTR e.g. are just more popular. More people would have seen SW at cinema then bought Halo, A LOT MORE. And Halo is hardly revolutionary like Star Wars was.

"My luck ranges from barely tolerable to cataclysmic"

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Because HALO came out right as the x-box came out it got bought because it was one of the only games out there. For many HALO was their 1st FPS  RPG therefore getting the "My 1st love" syndrome. That's when what I like to call "BUZZ" kicked in. "BUZZ" is when a few people with a lot of say think X (X= anything) rocks or stinks and they tell everyone they meet about how they hate/love X after a while people who have never even seen/played X start to say things about it too. This happened with Windows Vista (see link) this also happened with Spider-Man 3 and is happening now with the Clone Wars movie. I was told by people who had never seen or used them that they sucked I saw SM3 the opening night at 12:00 and thought it was a great movie (not as good as 1 or 2 but still great) BUZZ can also change your ideas about something so that when you DO see/use/play it you go in thinking its not going to be good/it will be awesome and when you do use/see/play it even if you do/don't like it your careful about what you say about it because you don't want to go against everyone. This is why I think Napoleon Dynamite was so popular. I found myself doing this and now I try to let others know about BUZZ. I now try to go into everything with a open mind.
  So it really is just a lot chance that HALO is what it is today.

...I live by one rule and it is this: Freedom. Enslave no one and be no ones slave. No more no less. I am a hunter and no one rules me.  - Alo Fett

41 (edited by Fetterthanyou Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:28 am)

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Alo Fett wrote:

Because HALO came out right as the x-box came out it got bought because it was one of the only games out there. For many HALO was their 1st FPS  RPG therefore getting the "My 1st love" syndrome. That's when what I like to call "BUZZ" kicked in. "BUZZ" is when a few people with a lot of say think X (X= anything) rocks or stinks and they tell everyone they meet about how they hate/love X after a while people who have never even seen/played X start to say things about it too. This happened with Windows Vista (see link) this also happened with Spider-Man 3 and is happening now with the Clone Wars movie. I was told by people who had never seen or used them that they sucked I saw SM3 the opening night at 12:00 and thought it was a great movie (not as good as 1 or 2 but still great) BUZZ can also change your ideas about something so that when you DO see/use/play it you go in thinking its not going to be good/it will be awesome and when you do use/see/play it even if you do/don't like it your careful about what you say about it because you don't want to go against everyone. This is why I think Napoleon Dynamite was so popular. I found myself doing this and now I try to let others know about BUZZ. I now try to go into everything with a open mind.
  So it really is just a lot chance that HALO is what it is today.

The only problem I see with your logic is that all of your "Buzz" examples are sequals or extensions of an already popular series. Halo 3, which I'm assuming your talking about, like Vista, SM 3, Clone Wars, and such drew off of the popularity of their predecessors. However the wrench in your theory is that each of these titles had to become popular in the first place. They had to earn the right to create the Buzz, which is the only reason a sequal is created anymore anyway.

If you were talking about Halo:CE (the original) then you are sadly mistaken in your thoughts as the X-box owes is popularity to the original Halo. People bought the system purely to play Halo after they got to try it once or twice. Not because somebody told them it was worth it, because they got hooked and knew it was worth it. Don't throw the whole thing off to "Chance."

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.
Hail to the King Baby!!

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Im not a whole believer in the Halo being the edge of your seat game, but my BF swears that the game still gets him. But thats for online play. When you have a lot of unknown fighters where you just don't know how they fight sometimes it can be harrowing, esp. if you have a low tolerance for stuff like that. I've never found my self so caught in game. I'd like to but it may be because I don't scare easy.


Xbox has a following because of many games, way more than just Halo.

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Werda Verd wrote:

Are you joking.....most people under 30 have heard of it. It may not be more popular period, but for people older that like 14, it is. I like both, but it's true. Most people these days, older than a certain age, don't like SW much, as a whole.

I think Halo is the new Star Wars, as far as popularity. And I forgot to mention the *great* music, and the ads had more work put into them than any other game (e.g. Believe, Landfall.).

"Some soldiers say that to reach maximum combat efficiency, they need to be in the zone. Sir; I live in the zone." - RC 1207 'Sev' to RC 1138 'Boss'

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Halo is not the new Star Wars. The only recent film series to possibly challenge Star Wars's popularity would be Harry Potter.

"My luck ranges from barely tolerable to cataclysmic"

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

Merciless Mandalore wrote:
Werda Verd wrote:

Are you joking.....most people under 30 have heard of it. It may not be more popular period, but for people older that like 14, it is. I like both, but it's true. Most people these days, older than a certain age, don't like SW much, as a whole.

I think Halo is the new Star Wars, as far as popularity. And I forgot to mention the *great* music, and the ads had more work put into them than any other game (e.g. Believe, Landfall.).

Oh yeah, the Music is GREAT. Marty O'Donnel did a GREAT job with the music. If Bungie keeps doing stuff with Halo, it could be.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

revan07 wrote:

Halo is not the new Star Wars. The only recent film series to possibly challenge Star Wars's popularity would be Harry Potter.

dunno what's on your mind, but Harry Potter is in no league with Star Wars dude.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

HP has made almost as much money as SW, but not quite. And HP is very popular. But probably more popular in AU and Britain that US


And halo's music is good, i never said otherwise

"My luck ranges from barely tolerable to cataclysmic"

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

worldwide, people are more familiar with Star Wars than Harry Potter. heck, millions o ppl in Australia and New Zealand, AND Britain claim their religion to be "Jedi" on a census.

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

I think Halo is only popular with Xbox users. Since I have a Playstation 2 I haven't been interested in it.

It's only that Adeptus kept telling me how great it was that I bought a PC version.

SW is over so many medias: film, TV, gaming, books, toys, collectables, clothes etc. Halo is no where near that sort of status.

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: Why is Halo so popular?

BFFC-Mel wrote:

ISW is over so many medias: film, TV, gaming, books, toys, collectables, clothes etc. Halo is no where near that sort of status.

I'm not sure about films, but there are Halo games, books, toys, collectables, clothes, etc. But not to the extent of SW.

take it easy baby take it as it comes