Topic: How to start a successful RPG

For those of you new to our RPG's here's a guide of how to create your own.

When writing an RPG there are a few key areas you need to consider:

1.    Setting
2.    Plot
3.    Rules

Setting:

Make sure you let everyone know what era you are setting your RPG. Let them know where they are also.

Plot: Give a clear idea of plot. For instance saying “War on Tatooine” is too vague. Why is there a war? Who is involved in the war? How are the characters involved?

Example: The war on Tatooine started when Jabba the Hutt got too greedy and started moving in on the Sandpeople.

You’ve now stated the where, the why and given a rough idea of the time.

Now since this is your RPG, your character will be key to the story. So you could pick to be Jabba the Hutt or the leader of the Sandpeople.

Do an intro explaining who you are and why you are there. A summary of your character is also good to use:

Name:
Age:
Species:
Gender:
Appearance:
Personality:
Weapons:

Example:

Name: Gen’har Nex
Age: 38
Species: Tusken Raider
Gender: Male
Affiliation: Sandpeople
Appearance: Bandaged outer body, typical garb of his species
Personality: Very territorial and passionate about his people, hates outsiders
Weapons: Gaffi stick, scavenged blaster

Gen’har stood on the sand dune with his bantha. He surveyed the surrounds, knowing that the evil Hutt’s minions were coming. The battles were becoming more frequent and it was only a matter of time before the war got even more heated.

His people had been preparing for the invasion. He watched them as they distributed weapons evenly amongst their ranks.

This has left things open for others to insert the characters into the action, they can either be preparing with the Sandpeople, or incoming with Jabba’s troops. Once things are established you can move the storyline along.

Rules:

Each RPG should have a list of rules. That way people know where they stand. Here’s a basic list of rules you can use or improvise on:

1. You may create any character you want.  Clarify their name and species so others can follow their actions easily.

2. You can kill characters you create but you can't kill other people's characters unless they say they have been killed in battle with you.

3. You can have any weapon you want but you can only have what your character could physically carry - otherwise they wouldn't be able to move.

4. Be consistent, eg if someone says they blew up a building, don't suddenly be assaulting it.

5. If you have sustained many wounds you will have to either get medical help or eventually die.

6. Follow the storyline, sure add a few twists and turns but allow others to see where you want to go so they can help you get there.

7. Have fun.

Now you have an overview on how you can create an effective RPG, good luck and remember the more you read the better you will write wink

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Wow Mel! Great job! Many new members will be happy with this big_smile

"None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination."

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Totally! Although Mel will do great RPG rules and RPG's themselves because she has started quite a lot and they are very successful.

Well done Mel. I shall consider this information when I make a new one. I'll have a wee think about it. smile

You're foolish words can never hurt me

Re: How to start a successful RPG

hehe good guide.

"My luck ranges from barely tolerable to cataclysmic"

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Hey, my inbox is lower so you can join now and tell me stuff.

You're foolish words can never hurt me

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Oh and a good addition to that list Mel: All those times ppl start RPGs and have something like

Armor: 90%


What's that???? No one ever gives a maximum or tells what it means. It just makes no sense.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Like Val said, people post like

Name: nOOb
Age: 10
Weapons: 50% or some write it like 50/100
Armor: 70%
Power: 30%
Force: 80%

WTF?!?!?! It makes no sense at all.

"None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination."

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Well it depends where you've done RPGs before. Some places might use that scheme. I think War Hammer does something similar - I'm sure Adeptus will correct me if I'm wrong tongue

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

Re: How to start a successful RPG

It's still a good point that it's NOT a system used here, and anyone wanting to introduce it needs to have a complete set of rules as to what it means, how it's applyed, and so on; or offer a link to such information.  Otherwise it's just totally ignored

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Just refer to the Grindhouse RPG for all questions on how to set up a "good" RPG... just don't follow its path to untimely death...

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.
Hail to the King Baby!!

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Thank you!

This is the best way to go in creating an RP. It's easy to read, easy to understand, and if everything goes smoothly can last a good long time.

"Did I ever tell you how much I like ants huh? Especially fried in a subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?"
-Rampage, Beast Wars

Re: How to start a successful RPG

seriously...some of the best RPGs here have been the most detailed...

as a longtime RPGer and GM...i suggest that ppl keep in mind not to focus just on what u want out of your story...but to remember what your PLAYERS want...after all your doing it for them.

If not...lol...go write a Fanfic, or something...

"Kom'rk tsad droten troch nyn ures adenn, Dha Werda Verda a'den tratu."
  [url]http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=39267.0[/url]

Re: How to start a successful RPG

This should prove to be very useful to the new comers of the RPGing field...Good job Mel.

[i]"Sir, Finishing this Cake."[/i]

Re: How to start a successful RPG

virulent_messiah wrote:

seriously...some of the best RPGs here have been the most detailed...

as a longtime RPGer and GM...i suggest that ppl keep in mind not to focus just on what u want out of your story...but to remember what your PLAYERS want...after all your doing it for them.

If not...lol...go write a Fanfic, or something...

However if its to detailed people get bored with it VM


Awesome guide Mel, should help a few of the members already here (you know who you are) and some new ones

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

15 (edited by Sev Fett Monday, July 28, 2008 9:04 am)

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Yes.  Adeptus makes a good point.  Keep in mind if you have one grand plan for your RPG, don't plan all the details.  The thing that makes RPGs so fun is rolling with the punches so to speak.  You have to be on your toes a lot and ready to take what's thrown at you.

Huh.  That's a lot of bad cliches.  tongue

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Adeptus_Astartes wrote:
virulent_messiah wrote:

seriously...some of the best RPGs here have been the most detailed...

as a longtime RPGer and GM...i suggest that ppl keep in mind not to focus just on what u want out of your story...but to remember what your PLAYERS want...after all your doing it for them.

If not...lol...go write a Fanfic, or something...

However if its to detailed people get bored with it VM


Awesome guide Mel, should help a few of the members already here (you know who you are) and some new ones

got me there, vod...

nice one...

"Kom'rk tsad droten troch nyn ures adenn, Dha Werda Verda a'den tratu."
  [url]http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=39267.0[/url]

Re: How to start a successful RPG

virulent_messiah wrote:
Adeptus_Astartes wrote:
virulent_messiah wrote:

seriously...some of the best RPGs here have been the most detailed...

as a longtime RPGer and GM...i suggest that ppl keep in mind not to focus just on what u want out of your story...but to remember what your PLAYERS want...after all your doing it for them.

If not...lol...go write a Fanfic, or something...

However if its to detailed people get bored with it VM


Awesome guide Mel, should help a few of the members already here (you know who you are) and some new ones

got me there, vod...

nice one...

Honestly have to say I skipped a lot of your character sheet. Not really concerned with all the saber mods tongue

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Adeptus_Astartes wrote:
virulent_messiah wrote:
Adeptus_Astartes wrote:

However if its to detailed people get bored with it VM


Awesome guide Mel, should help a few of the members already here (you know who you are) and some new ones

got me there, vod...

nice one...

Honestly have to say I skipped a lot of your character sheet. Not really concerned with all the saber mods tongue

more for me than you guys...and im trying not to be so unecessarily detailed.

works out that ive been so damn busy lately...

"Kom'rk tsad droten troch nyn ures adenn, Dha Werda Verda a'den tratu."
  [url]http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=39267.0[/url]

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Just a quick-note to add: A good RPG usually will take some thinking before starting it up. So make sure you have plenty of details to supply to viewers. Throw in some twists too.

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Side note: Try not have too many spiefics. Let folks make their Character sheet their way.
For joiners: Don't think you have to wait for some one to join before you before you join, most RPGs DIE that way.
READ! The othe peoples post COMPLETLY! Because you always want to be on the same page as the other RPGers.
Don't try to become the Big Cheese......that spot is reserved for the RPG creator, unless he/she says othe wise.
Be respectful to you fellow  RPGers!
If you want a new character kill 'em off! but be consitant...don't make a character one day and kill 'em the next. AKA: 2 min. Characters.

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Karson Fett wrote:

Side note: Try not have too many spiefics. Let folks make their Character sheet their way.
For joiners: Don't think you have to wait for some one to join before you before you join, most RPGs DIE that way.
READ! The othe peoples post COMPLETLY! Because you always want to be on the same page as the other RPGers.
Don't try to become the Big Cheese......that spot is reserved for the RPG creator, unless he/she says othe wise.
Be respectful to you fellow  RPGers!
If you want a new character kill 'em off! but be consitant...don't make a character one day and kill 'em the next. AKA: 2 min. Characters.

You need specifics sometimes, because alot of people dont seem to understand that something on the character sheet need to be filled out a certain way for it to work, of course this depends on the RPG but it still matters. Some RPGs need certain unique fields.


Try to be detailed when you fill out a sheet.

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Fetterthanyou wrote:

Just refer to the Grindhouse RPG for all questions on how to set up a "good" RPG... just don't follow its path to untimely death...

Grindhouse...damn, it's too bad that died out, I like the whole zombie apocalypse setting. Everyone's pretty much scattered now though, it's kinda sad.

"I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!" - Belkar

Re: How to start a successful RPG

Adeptus_Astartes wrote:
Karson Fett wrote:

Side note: Try not have too many spiefics. Let folks make their Character sheet their way.
For joiners: Don't think you have to wait for some one to join before you before you join, most RPGs DIE that way.
READ! The othe peoples post COMPLETLY! Because you always want to be on the same page as the other RPGers.
Don't try to become the Big Cheese......that spot is reserved for the RPG creator, unless he/she says othe wise.
Be respectful to you fellow  RPGers!
If you want a new character kill 'em off! but be consitant...don't make a character one day and kill 'em the next. AKA: 2 min. Characters.

You need specifics sometimes, because alot of people dont seem to understand that something on the character sheet need to be filled out a certain way for it to work, of course this depends on the RPG but it still matters. Some RPGs need certain unique fields.


Try to be detailed when you fill out a sheet.

Another reason to have a more detailed sheet is that if you have to take the time to make a character, or its one you like, your more likely to try to keep it going. You're less likely to give up.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Re: How to start a successful RPG

I din't say not to be detailed
What I mean is don't make someone have their character sheet the way you want to be done before youlet them join....its aggrivating.

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: How to start a successful RPG

I know what your saying. Sometimes people just want well thought out characters in their story, not two minute ones. It's their RPG.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--