Topic: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

*Sorry if this topic has already come up; couldn’t find it in the search*

Maybe this is just my overactive imagination plus my desire to see Mandalorians everywhere, but has anybody else noticed that the helmet/mask of the Emperor’s Royal Guardsmen and the old Mandalorian helmet/masks from KotOR look a LOT alike?

Is there a connection between the armor sets? 

Could this mean the Royal Guardsmen are Mandalorians?

What do you think?

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

Ralin Drakus wrote:

*Sorry if this topic has already come up; couldn’t find it in the search*

Maybe this is just my overactive imagination plus my desire to see Mandalorians everywhere, but has anybody else noticed that the helmet/mask of the Emperor’s Royal Guardsmen and the old Mandalorian helmet/masks from KotOR look a LOT alike?

Is there a connection between the armor sets? 

Could this mean the Royal Guardsmen are Mandalorians?

What do you think?

I dont think the Royal Guardsmen themselves are Mandos but it is quite possiably that they have some form of tie or bond to the culture. Maybe past family at one point. Im sure they know of and have adapted some of the techniques and such of Mando culture. I do see alot of simulatities now that you mention it. Nice pointing it out!!!

"Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead"

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor%27s_Royal_Guard

You mean these dudes? I'm pretty sure their not mandos, their armor is influenced by Mandalorian Armor though.

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

Well the royal gaurd's costumes (if you think of the series in chonological order not in the order of creation) were an extention of the Senitoral Gaurds, who wore blue in EP1. Trisha designed those helms after a sorts of Roman head gear. It was similar to our favorite T-shape visor, except it was open faced. We are to assume she says in the dressing a galaxy book that they were to have evolved from there. But I agree that they look very much the same. Perhaps Palpatine wanted to draw upon whatever fear resulted from those old Mandalorians.

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

Adeptus_Astartes wrote:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor%27s_Royal_Guard

You mean these dudes? I'm pretty sure their not mandos, their armor is influenced by Mandalorian Armor though.

Ooops; sorry I wasn't clear. 

Yes, I'm comparing these guys:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/5a/Royal_guard.jpg

To these guys:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/2/2e/Sherruk.JPG

That's a good point about the Senitoral Gaurds, Si, as the assumption would be that the Emperor's Guardsmen are simply an evolved armor/guardsmen from there.

However, does my memory deceive me, or do I remember seeing the red-clad guardsmen in Ep. III?  That would be a quick transition.  I have the theory that the Emperor's Guardsmen aren't connected to the old Senitoral Gaurds at all, and were a replacement, and an upgrade.

And come-on, we all want Kir Kanos to be a Mandalorian, right?    big_smile

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

It is true that the Emperor's gaurds aren't really related to the senitoral gaurds per se, but were in terms costume development. I'll see if i can find the exact quote i was thinking of.

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

Kir Kanos is amazing.  I was like in awe while I read Crimson Empire.

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

He has gotta be the awesomest Guard ever.  (Yeah, I said "awesomest").  Almost as cool as Boba. Almost.  Veyr close.

Due to maintenance problems, the light at the end of the tunnel will not be in operation today.  Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

The Emperor's Royal Guard uniforms are said to derive from Thyrsus Sun Guard (who wore almost identical helmets) and the Mandalorian Death Watch (although despite intense research I've been unable to find any similarities!)
The Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders shown above have soft hoods around their heads with only the mask as solid, this allows them to move their heads in ways that Royal Guard helmets do not allow (trust me, Royal Guard helmets are a real pain to wear!)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/OrtharRrith/OrtharRrith-1.jpg[/img]

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

That mando armor is seen where? In the game? So. Got doubts. Might be a pure coincidence, lack of inspiration, or just a random idea not really related.

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

the armour's cool, but i'm not sure it will protect much of the body area. yikes neutral  Still nice though. big_smile One of my favourite colours is red! smile

You're foolish words can never hurt me

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

JustDave wrote:

That mando armor is seen where? In the game? So. Got doubts. Might be a pure coincidence, lack of inspiration, or just a random idea not really related.

Yes, the armor was *I think* fist seen in the game Knights of the Old Repblic, unless it was in the comic before that. 

Whatever the insperation behind it in the begining, the design seems to be canon now.  I assume that there wasn't a connection intended, but that doesn't mean we can't create one   big_smile

Those are some intersting points, Orthar, I never heard any of that.  You mean the Guardsmen helmets aren't even supposed to twist in the MOVIES EITHER??  That doesn't make sense to me........unless the helmets have SUPER HUDs like Mando helmets and the guards are train in way that they don't need to twist their head in combat.  You sure that's not just the movie props that are like that? and the 'real' one are supposed to be build like the old Mando helmets  *wheather there be a relation or not* ?

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

They could be. And I believe that the armor was first seen in KotOR.

calvinanglin@gmail.com | Dei voluntas fiat
I seek to knowledge to share it.

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

Orthar wrote:

The Emperor's Royal Guard uniforms are said to derive from Thyrsus Sun Guard (who wore almost identical helmets) and the Mandalorian Death Watch (although despite intense research I've been unable to find any similarities!)

Here's the links for those, if anyone's interested:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Guard

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Guard

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Watch


Ralin Drakus wrote:

However, does my memory deceive me, or do I remember seeing the red-clad guardsmen in Ep. III?  That would be a quick transition.  I have the theory that the Emperor's Guardsmen aren't connected to the old Senitoral Gaurds at all, and were a replacement, and an upgrade.

Your memory serves you well.   ;-)  They were in both Episode II (Palpatine's office and the Grand Army viewing box at the end) and Episode III (Palpatine's office and Yoda tossed a couple around before his big fight with Sidious). 

From what I understand, the Red Guard was actually created as a separate unit from the Senate Guard.  Later on, the Red Guard became incorporated into the Imperial Royal Guard. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Senatorial_Guard

--Sadriel Fett (BFFC Moderator)
"I'm just a simple Fan, trying to make my way in the universe."

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

Sadriel_Fett wrote:

Your memory serves you well.   ;-)  They were in both Episode II (Palpatine's office and the Grand Army viewing box at the end) and Episode III (Palpatine's office and Yoda tossed a couple around before his big fight with Sidious). 

From what I understand, the Red Guard was actually created as a separate unit from the Senate Guard.  Later on, the Red Guard became incorporated into the Imperial Royal Guard. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Senatorial_Guard

AH HA!!!  Thanks for confirming my suspision, Sadriel   :-)

So what do you think Mando fans?  Still a chance out there that Imperial Guardsmen armor is linked to old Mandalorian?  We know Palpatine has at least respect for Mandalorian fighting prowes, due to the choice of Clone Template for the Army of the Republic  *I know it was Dooku who recruited Jango, but does anybody really think he would have done so if Palp's had any objections?*

I also think that if they aren't all Mandos, several of the Royal Guards could be Mandalorian as well

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

Sadriel_Fett wrote:
Orthar wrote:

The Emperor's Royal Guard uniforms are said to derive from Thyrsus Sun Guard (who wore almost identical helmets) and the Mandalorian Death Watch (although despite intense research I've been unable to find any similarities!)

Here's the links for those, if anyone's interested:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Guard

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Guard

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Watch


Ralin Drakus wrote:

However, does my memory deceive me, or do I remember seeing the red-clad guardsmen in Ep. III?  That would be a quick transition.  I have the theory that the Emperor's Guardsmen aren't connected to the old Senitoral Gaurds at all, and were a replacement, and an upgrade.

Your memory serves you well.   ;-)  They were in both Episode II (Palpatine's office and the Grand Army viewing box at the end) and Episode III (Palpatine's office and Yoda tossed a couple around before his big fight with Sidious). 

From what I understand, the Red Guard was actually created as a separate unit from the Senate Guard.  Later on, the Red Guard became incorporated into the Imperial Royal Guard. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Senatorial_Guard

That is pretty interesting.

"Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead"

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

Well, the Mandaalorians and the Sith have always had a history with each other.  Take the events in the Tales of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Repulic comic book series.

--Sadriel Fett (BFFC Moderator)
"I'm just a simple Fan, trying to make my way in the universe."

Re: Guardsmen Armor/Mando Armor Related?

Sadriel_Fett wrote:

Well, the Mandaalorians and the Sith have always had a history with each other.  Take the events in the Tales of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Repulic comic book series.

True.  It's a simple fact that the Sith have more in common with Mando's then the Jedi do.  Not that this draws a connection to the topic, but it is clear that the Sith have a respect for Mandalorian fighting prowess

"You set a code to live by.  I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."