Topic: Bullets and lightsabers

Havent you ever wonder what would happen if regular bullets hit a light saber? I think they would melt or shrink and go out the otherside cause they move so fast.

Cover ears! Big Boom Boom coming.-Tek

2 (edited by Gojan Fett Sunday, February 4, 2007 7:43 pm)

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

Well, because of the scene where Qui-gon cuts through the blast door with a lightsaber, I surmize that the bullets would simply disintegrate (or whatever the technical term is) completely on contact. Not much of a contest there really, but the lightsaber couldn't deflect the shots back at anyone so...

"A thousand years of space and time and I have never come across anyone wasn't important." -- Doctor Who

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

Gojan Fett wrote:

Well, because of the scene where Qui-gon cuts through the blast door with a lightsaber, I surmize that the bullets would simply disintegrate (or whatever the technical term is) completely on contact. Not much of a contest there really, but the lightsaber couldn't deflect the shots back at anyone so...

Yes I agree.

"Everyone has the right to be stupid, but you are abusing the privilege."

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

When fighting a Jedi your best option is usually a slug thrower simply because unlike blaster bolts they do not richochet. Sure they get melted into slag...or nothing at all. Plus you can have a shield on and slugs'll pass right through it without having to turn it off or bounce back.

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

I think most bullets would melt but some would pass through. You'd have to be a good shot with a rapid fire weapon to hit a Jedi, me thinks big_smile

BFFC Moderator
It was like thousands of voices cried out for a sequel and were suddenly silenced...

6 (edited by wizardofcars Monday, February 5, 2007 5:37 am)

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

Since both lightsabers and blasters are energy weapons and a bullet is a projectile. The lightsaber is able to deflect the energy of the blaster shot but if you were to used a large enough round then not all of the bullet would melt as it passed through the beam of the lightsaber and would cause damage to the person on the other side.

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

What about the Jedi reflexes? They would use the force to see where bullets will hit and would probably be able to use the force to move themselves away or move the bullets away.

[url]http://impstherelentless.com/tek9.asp[/url]
Everyone should check out this movie. Too bad only chapter 1's ready.

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

Maltese Kentaiba wrote:

When fighting a Jedi your best option is usually a slug thrower simply because unlike blaster bolts they do not richochet. Sure they get melted into slag...or nothing at all. Plus you can have a shield on and slugs'll pass right through it without having to turn it off or bounce back.

Excactly what I was gunna say, which is why I think Nym was so keen on using his slugthrower most of the time.

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.
Hail to the King Baby!!

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

if the jedi was good enough he could pull a neo.  use the force to enhance his perceptions, esentially slowing time around him (luke did this in shadows of the empire when fighting guri).  he could then manipulate each bullet flying at him, slowing them, and stopping them before they impacted.

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

ya, or deflect them like Vader does to Han's blaster bolt. I never really liked that part though, because it made it look like it was really unnessicary to use your lightsaber as a tool againt blasters.

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.
Hail to the King Baby!!

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

But most Jedi, Sith, etc. are not as powerful as Vadar.

take it easy baby take it as it comes

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

draco fett wrote:

But most Jedi, Sith, etc. are not as powerful as Vadar.

yeah, and besides Vader's arms are robotic with that outer covering of armor which is really strong, strong enough to survive in space.

there are no star systems slave 1 can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now.    -Boba Fett

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

In Clone Wars Obi-Wan deflected multiple laser blasts with the Force. Though we all know how CW seems to make the Jedi's power into some rediculous superpower. (like the Mace episodes, which were totally unrealistic)

I heard once somewhere that bullets were faster than lasers? But I don't know if it's true.

Reality doesn't care if you believe in it.
[url]http://www.townparkradio.com[/url] - Video Game Remix Music

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

Sence laser is an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, and light is faster than a bullet, I would say the laser is faster.

take it easy baby take it as it comes

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

That does make more sense, I'm not sure where I heard the other thing.

Reality doesn't care if you believe in it.
[url]http://www.townparkradio.com[/url] - Video Game Remix Music

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

Fetterthanyou wrote:

ya, or deflect them like Vader does to Han's blaster bolt. I never really liked that part though, because it made it look like it was really unnessicary to use your lightsaber as a tool againt blasters.

It says on wikipedia that it was only Vader's specially armored gloves that deflected the blaster bolt, and implies that it's not a force ability. I think that makes more sense, as we never see any other force users doing it. (Except for maybe the Witches of Dathomir in The Courtship of Princess Leia?)

...but ever since I've heard Draco go on about how you can't trust wikipedia...

I think the best firearm to use against a Jedi would be a shotgun. It would have to be one crazy Jedi to be able to deflect something like that, or get close enough to slice it without getting blown away.

"A thousand years of space and time and I have never come across anyone wasn't important." -- Doctor Who

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

Gojan Fett wrote:
Fetterthanyou wrote:

ya, or deflect them like Vader does to Han's blaster bolt. I never really liked that part though, because it made it look like it was really unnessicary to use your lightsaber as a tool againt blasters.

It says on wikipedia that it was only Vader's specially armored gloves that deflected the blaster bolt, and implies that it's not a force ability. I think that makes more sense, as we never see any other force users doing it. (Except for maybe the Witches of Dathomir in The Courtship of Princess Leia?)

...but ever since I've heard Draco go on about how you can't trust wikipedia...

I think the best firearm to use against a Jedi would be a shotgun. It would have to be one crazy Jedi to be able to deflect something like that, or get close enough to slice it without getting blown away.

I think it also depends on the jedi. I mean a shotgun will obliterate a padawan anyday....

"Everyone has the right to be stupid, but you are abusing the privilege."

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

I can believe blocking a rifle however fast it's going. But stopping each and every slug from a shotgun shell...

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

draco fett wrote:

Sence laser is an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, and light is faster than a bullet, I would say the laser is faster.

Good point but I doubt laser bolts are traveling at the speed of light.

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

Lasers dont look like they arfe going very fast plus you cant see bullets.

I'm smiling because they havn't found the bodies yet. :)
I think, therfore i am I destroy, therfore i endure - IG-88 tales of the bounty hunters

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

In the movies, the lasers were visable because watching a fire-fight and not seeing the projectile would not be entertaining.

take it easy baby take it as it comes

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

draco fett wrote:

In the movies, the lasers were visable because watching a fire-fight and not seeing the projectile would not be entertaining.

True, but then you can't take scientific standards for lasers and apply them to these blaster bolts can you?

Really what I'm trying to say is that you can't use science to explain things in a fictional world. Because The lasers emitted from the space ships would be (in real life) invisible as there is not enough matter to scatter the particles in the vaccuum of space. But that is not true in the movies, so lets just let Fiction be fiction.

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.
Hail to the King Baby!!

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

I agree with Gojan i dont even think yoda could block a shotgun blast

Don't drink and drive.......you might spill your drink.

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

Here's how to avoid shotgun shells in one simple direction:

Head for the hills and cover your butt.

Re: Bullets and lightsabers

That's gotta be nasty for the Jedi who's blocking . . . 'I'll just deflect this projectile here and- AAAAHHHG! Molten lead in my face!'  Bet they wouldn't see that coming.

If ya love me . . .And ya know me . . . And ya've seen me . . .
I'm Old Gregggggggg!